Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What have you done for your indoor or older cat, that has most improved their quality of life?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by blkcat, Jun 30, 2018.

1. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

It's Blk's birthday coming up and it's the one time of year I splurdge and try to get him something nice I wouldn't ordinarily buy.

It will be his 11th birthday. He's not so into playing anymore. He's become a real snuggler, even more so after he had his back teeth out.

Besides that he has some permutation of nearly every cat toy I can find.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to make him happy? Something that might make a difference to the quality of his life.

Last year I got him a cat tree, he's lying on it right now. He seems to like it more in the hotter weather. I'm a bit stumped for ideas this year.

I could use a little inspiration. Thanks for your help :)

Edit: i seemed to have screwed title up sorry. Was supposed to say what not birthday. I'm rubbish at phone typing, but that's s fairly big mistake!

Summercat and Whompingwillow like this.
  2. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Changed the title for you :)

When I had my oldies I’d get them a super stinky toy, they were the only toys they’d play with. Other than that some treats & tasty special supper like sardines.

3. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

Thank you @Matrod was kind of you to fix my mistake.

You can't go wrong with some nip toys and a nice dinner :)

Matrod and Whompingwillow like this.
  4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

That's a good idea, maybe something with valerian or catnip? Does he use beds? Maybe a new bed for the window sill?

blkcat likes this.
  5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

A fluffy pad for the window sill. It was a freebie off ZP with points and is loved.

You can get the radiator bed for winter but buy a cheapo one from Home Bargains just in case it is ignored x

blkcat and Summercat like this.
  6. Pixie_Tinker_Bell

Pixie_Tinker_Bell PetForums Senior

Radiator bed was a total win in our house. A new kitten wasn't!

If he's a real snuggled what about a blanket that he can have that's his but also you use so he can snuggle in with you? My two only seem to snuggle with me if I have a fleecy blanket so even through the heatwave I've been sitting with a blanket just to get the cuddles!

blkcat and Summercat like this.
  7. leashedForLife

a circulating cat-fountain - keeping them well-hydrated as they age is important, senior cats often do not drink enuf, & the SOUND of running water will encourage more drinking.
    Buy one wth an easily-replaceable filter to remove gunk - charcoal is better than a plastic sieve.
    Glass or porcelain is better than any plastic - plastic holds bacteria tightly.

Kidney failure is one of the most-common causes of death, & it's sneaky. :( There are no symps until the problem is far advanced.

happy birthday, kitty! :)
    - terry

8. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

Two votes for a window bed, I think that has to be done! Thank you both for the suggestion @Summercat and @bluecordelia. I still have some nice fleece I re-covered his scratching post with, I think I could make a nice window bed to match. There's a huge window in the living room with a very low easy to get on to windowsill. Might encourage him to use it more. Don't have any radiators, so I'm not sure that's a goer though.

@Pixie_Tinker_Bell we have two fleecy blankets we snuggle in on the sofa. One of them is heated (deep love in the winter). I think I know what you mean. He much prefers to sit on my lap if there's a blanket on my lap, a cushion is even better. I wonder if he would like a fleecy cushion, could be the best of both?

If he didn't have one already, I think that would have been my first pick @leashedForLife. He loves his flower fountain. I was looking at a ceramic one (https://miaustore.com/uk/) which didn't need filters. But the sit got quite bad reviews for customer service so decided to sit on my hands and watch and see how that company goes over time. Not sure I am sold on the idea of no filters either. I assume they are quite new as I haven't seen that kind before.

I was reading back through threads here and remembered something other members tempted me with a while back. It's not so much fun, but very practical, might solve a problem and hopefully be a quality of life improver. Planning to go into town and pick something else up tomorrow. Then apart from some nice food, I think I am probably done shopping. Just have a few things to make.

I'm not sure if I should tell you, or post pics when I have everything together :D I like surprises.

9. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Post pics anytime! Enjoy shopping

Summercat and blkcat like this.
  10. crystalwitch

crystalwitch PetForums Member

Seems to me that you're already giving him the best present of all - your love and time. He obviously enjoys his snuggly times with you and must know that he is so well loved. I tell my Jet every day how precious he is and how much I love him - I think he understands, cos he always starts purring:Cat

11. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Cat run in the garden has been a godsend.

Also da bird or flying frenzy.

They love a tunnel or cube.

In this heat a cool pad.

Big plastic washing up bowl with a hex bug gold fish.

Any home made knitted kicker (stuffed with drugs)

12. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

I was having serious thoughts about fencing in my balcony properly @huckybuck. It was my first thought. I've been going back and forth about it for a few years now. I had some galvanised mesh in my shopping cart online, then without looking for it a post popped up in my feed about someone's cat falling from a 4th floor balcony and having to have his front leg amputated :( It seemed like an omen.

I guess there's a reason I am so back and forth about it, it's very high up and the only outside space I have to make an enclosure. I came to the conclusion, even if I fenced it in with the most solid mesh money can buy, I'd never feel comfortable leaving him out there alone, even if I was by the window where I could see him. I'd have to be out there with him.

It has three solid walls, railings on one side, and the whole thing is enclosed with netting to keep the birds off. So I may use thick plastic mesh instead as it's much cheaper, just to stop him trying to poke his head through the railings. Then just accept he will only go out there on special occasions in the summer and I will be present and attentive 100% of the time. If it happens at all.

We do have a completely safe communal courtyard (two story walls all the way around) he can go in which is much better really. Just again, not alone or every time he feels like it. So he's not completely without outside time.

Sorry for the book. It's been such a hard decision. I've thought about doing it so much, I'd love him to have that space but I would never forgive myself if he hurt himself.

The other things on your list :D Well, I'm not saying anything just yet ;) Great ideas, thank you :)

huckybuck likes this.
  13. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Definitely agree with @huckybuck the 2nd best thing we have ever done for Meeko was to build him a run in the garden , but the best thing was adding a tunnel to it so that he has access to his run when ever he wants it .
    He now has the best of both worlds outside freedom but in total safety .

leashedForLife, blkcat and huckybuck like this.
  14. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Harness??? So he could go in the courtyard safely? Even just a coat/jacket might suffice under supervision.

Cat TV/DVD? An IPad linked to the TV so he can watch virtual birds/squirrels/fish/string?

15. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

There's nowhere he can escape the the courtyard, so he doesn't need a harness. I just wouldn't let him out alone in case he bothers other people or pop's into a neighbours! :)

TV? Hmmm, perhaps it's time to dig these out again?

Summercat, Joy84 and huckybuck like this.
  16. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Don't ask me!
    I find silly things online :Woot
    This year's present ...
    Bread cushion, fried egg blanket and fish toy :Facepalm
    20180623_085311.jpg
    20180624_081831.jpg

17. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

@Joy84 I love the cat sandwich! Do they get played with? I saw a fish in Wish yesterday and I was a little tempted myself :)

Joy84 and Rhea mother of Zeus like this.
  18. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I've just bought 2 window beds. One that clips on and another that is a mat. I also bought a cool mat ..

Joy84 and Rhea mother of Zeus like this.
  19. Rhea mother of Zeus

Rhea mother of Zeus Snuggling my crazy boy

Happy birthday to your boy!

All of the above are excellent suggestions. Our quality of life improvement for Zeus (ok and us) was AC this summer.

We don't usually bother with it, as we live in a very large and airy space but Montreal is sweltering at the moment. Thank god he's a short haired boy.

20. Puddy2shoes

Puddy2shoes PetForums Member

Hi there, one of my cats is around 17yrs and have had one live til her early twenties; one thing i learned to do for these oldies was to presume they, like me, were feeling a bit rusty in the old joints making the leaps and jumps a tad painful these days, so I added extra platforms such as stools or tables to make it easier for them to reach where they liked to be without too much exertion. I have just started my current oldie on a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement as well,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice