Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What has happened to my puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucyandsandy, Apr 22, 2011.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

My puppy is usually very out going and sure of herself but today and yesterday she hasn't wanted to come out of her crate and has spent most her time in there and even when called she hasn't wanted to come out. She usually follows me around everywhere all the time. As far as I am aware nothing has changed in her routine or anything has happened.

I also have the problem that she doesn't like going to the toilet when the children are out in the garden. I think it is the scooter and bike that bother her, she has had four accidents in the house today and two yesterday which have been the first in about 4 weeks. Do I need to start from scratch again and take her out every 30 mins - hour? When I take her out the last two days she has just sat there and looked at me for upto 15 mins not moving. This is very unlike her.

Sorry for the long post!

She did play a little bit but with lots of encouragement and she joined in with a 10 min training session but as soon as they were over she went straight back in her crate.

2. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

I know they do go through a fear period but not sure when that is.. How old is she?
    Will she go when the bikes ect are not there? are they stationary or the kids on them?
    Jacks wasnt not too clever on walking pask bikes/pushchairs ect even when they were stood still but he seems to have got past that thankfully.

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Could she be feeling poorly ?

Is she eating and drinking at all ?

Does she appear to have a temperature ? (feel her paws as a rough indication)

4. lucyandsandy

She is eating and drinking fine and no she doesn't seem to have a temperature. The children have been riding the bikes for about half hour outside so I sat her on my lap to watch which she was fine with. She is 17 weeks.

5. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Could it be the heat, puppies are like babies and can flag a bit in these temperatures :)

6. lucyandsandy

I thought it could be the heat but I don't know I feel like something isn't right if that makes sense

7. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I would also be a bit concerned, sudden behaviour changes like this is a pup are not normal.

Remember you can always call the vets for a chat rather than take her in if you are concerned there might be something wrong ;)

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

9. lucyandsandy

I might call them, I am taking my cat into the vets tomorrow so I could take her in then too.

10. lucyandsandy

Thank you Sled dog hotel you have reassured me a bit. She has been dry through the night so has been managing to hold it but will keep a close eye. My children so have friends round but not today. They come round nearly everyday so she knows them well and they all know to leave her alone.

When she is in her crate shall I just leave her be? As she in there a lot at the moment I have been missing her! The cat has joined her as well at the moment so they are both snuggled up in her crate!

I have also just changed her crate to a larger one and made it more cosy with my dressing gown and her bed etc so this could be a reason why she is using it more than her last one.

11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I would just let her go in her crate if she seems happy in there, just keep an eye on her, if she starts having accidents through the night and the ones in the day get worse, then I would suspect a UTI, obviously if she goes off food and gets tummy upset or developes any other symptoms then she deffinately needs checking out especially if still withdrawn and not so interested still.
    It has been hot, mine couldnt do a full walk today even though I got out early, since back they have just slept and barely moved even now,

Jusst keep an eye on her, never assume with a pup, it could well be nothing
    but just keep a check on her in case. They do sometimes have lapses in toilet training though too, might be an idea to take her out and go back to basics with the whole treat and praise lark for a day or two, as a refresher course, wont do any harm.

12. lucyandsandy

Thank you I will do that, she has come upstairs now and is sitting next to me. I will see how she is on her walk tonight and through the night.

13. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

If, as you say, you feel, and I quote,'' Something isn't quite right '' Then get off to the vets with your pup, trust your instincts, after all only you know your dog. All the advice in the world can only be guesswork when none of us have an idea of how your pup is normally. The worst that can happen is the vet telling you that you're worrying about nothing.
    Hope the pup gets over whatever it is soon.
    Pete

14. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Did you take puppy to vets today? Hope everything is ok.

15. lucyandsandy

I didn't take her, I called them and they said they think it is just the heat but to keep an eye on her. Yesterday and today though she seems to be back to her normal self thankfully!

She also didn't have any accidents in the house yesterday which was good and she has been following me around again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice