UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a harness for my puppy to wear in the car (when shes a bit bigger) and one of those leads that plugs in to the seat belt.

She already has a harness that i am getting her used to, and getting myself used to putting it on!!! The one she has now is a really nice comfortable padded one but it attaches around the neck area with velcro and has a clip for the bit that goes under her chest. I have presumed this is not safe for use in the car, as all the ones that specify car harness have no velcro.

What do you think, am i right this is not the safest harness to use in the car? or would it be ok? The ones i have been looking at getting for the car are made by ancol but they don't look as comfortable as the one i currently have. Obviously safety is my main concern though.

G

·
I have the Bergan one Smokeybear linked to. It's great, and I would never use a non-crash tested harness after finding out all the horrific things that can happen to your dog in a crash if they're not properly restrained. My dog's life is worth the 30-odd pounds for a Bergan harness.

·
MillieMoo'sMum
2,015 Posts
I'm looking for a very good car harness too, but one that can be used for walking as well because millie needs a harness not a collar for walking as she "lunges" a lot when excited etc, (she has the Puppia harness at moment) so am concerned about her neck, but because I use the car often for taking her to her walks I dont fancy having to change harnesses all the time, so just wondering if there are good ones that double up for both purposes.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Just thought i'd mention on the bergan link there is 25% off at the moment. :D :D :D

I've ordered one for her ladyship as from time to time it would be handy if I want to use OH's hunchback ;)

·
Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.
2,531 Posts
Sorry. I misunderstood the title. I was thinking, Why would you want to put your car in a harness? LOL

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking for a very good car harness too, but one that can be used for walking as well because millie needs a harness not a collar for walking as she "lunges" a lot when excited etc, (she has the Puppia harness at moment) so am concerned about her neck, but because I use the car often for taking her to her walks I dont fancy having to change harnesses all the time, so just wondering if there are good ones that double up for both purposes.
This is a good question, i also want one for ease of use that i can walk her in as well as use in the car. I also have a puppia one at the minute which is really nice.

I hadn't even thought about some of them being crash tested but i will look into those links when i have a bit more time.

G

·
A harness to keep a dog safe in the car, and a harness to walk a dog in are (or should be) completely different. They require completely different things. I could never walk Kenzie in her Bergan car harness because it has a wide, padded front and straps placed to restrain her. A walking harness needs to provide free movement. I know there are harnesses out there that claim to do both, but generally these are a walking harness with a car attachment, and IMO won't keep your dog safe in a crash.

It takes me about 5 seconds to put my dog's car harness on, so I don't really think changing harnesses between the car and walking is a big issue personally.

·
MillieMoo'sMum
2,015 Posts
A harness to keep a dog safe in the car, and a harness to walk a dog in are (or should be) completely different. They require completely different things. I could never walk Kenzie in her Bergan car harness because it has a wide, padded front and straps placed to restrain her. A walking harness needs to provide free movement. I know there are harnesses out there that claim to do both, but generally these are a walking harness with a car attachment, and IMO won't keep your dog safe in a crash.

It takes me about 5 seconds to put my dog's car harness on, so I don't really think changing harnesses between the car and walking is a big issue personally.
Valid point there McKenzie, thanks for pointing this out, its just that Millie is a wriggling worm when putting her harness on, its a work in progress with her, not sure what to do now as I cant afford to get freezing cold and wet at my age and with asthma, it would take me more than 5 seconds to sort her out, I will still be a bit concerned about using one that doubles as for Car/Walking for time being though till shes older and I've done the routine of putting it on and off a few times a day till she's used to it :)

G

·
Valid point there McKenzie, thanks for pointing this out, its just that Millie is a wriggling worm when putting her harness on, its a work in progress with her, not sure what to do now as I cant afford to get freezing cold and wet at my age and with asthma, it would take me more than 5 seconds to sort her out, I will still be a bit concerned about using one that doubles as for Car/Walking for time being though till shes older and I've done the routine of putting it on and off a few times a day till she's used to it :)
I sympathise - Kenzie was a wriggler too!

How about a crate for the car instead?

·
MillieMoo'sMum
2,015 Posts
I used one as soon as I got her but as time went on it took me ages to coax her out of it, she hated being in it in the car and only just tolerates it in the home, but she basically is only in it in my bedroom to sleep in over night....phew! the challenges these pups give us eh! good job I love her so much :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use the ancol harness because its duel purpose, it fits really well and my guys are not the easiest to fit for anything. It doesn’t rub anywhere on them and when they see me get them out they put their own little heads in so that suggests to me that they are very comfortable wearing them :D

·
MillieMoo'sMum
2,015 Posts
I use the ancol harness because its duel purpose, it fits really well and my guys are not the easiest to fit for anything. It doesn't rub anywhere on them and when they see me get them out they put their own little heads in so that suggests to me that they are very comfortable wearing them :D
I will look into that one thanks, I'm glad you mentioned about the not rubbing as the puppia that millie has is lovely and soft but the adjustable plastic clip always seems to be near her underarm and must be so uncomfortable, no matter how I try to adjust it? if fits her perfectly apart from that, have to say I'm desperate to find a good one and willing to pay more for it but I dont want to make an expensive mistake to get the same problem....I hate those bulky plastic clips :(...

ETA: sorry Rylee, if it seems like I've took over your thread, I didnt intend too :(...hope you get to find your perfect harness too :)

G

·
It's worth remembering that many car harnesses are designed to restrain the dog in a crash so it doesn't become a missile, not to necessarily keep the dog safe. If they're not crash tested then you have no way of knowing how the dog will fare in an accident. Maybe they'll be fine. Maybe they'll get serious cuts from the placement of the straps, maybe they'll break their neck because the design of the harness makes their head snap back, maybe the plastic clips will break or the stitching will simply come apart meaning the dog flies around the car anyway.

Just something to consider.

·
MillieMoo'sMum
2,015 Posts
It's worth remembering that many car harnesses are designed to restrain the dog in a crash so it doesn't become a missile, not to necessarily keep the dog safe. If they're not crash tested then you have no way of knowing how the dog will fare in an accident. Maybe they'll be fine. Maybe they'll get serious cuts from the placement of the straps, maybe they'll break their neck because the design of the harness makes their head snap back, maybe the plastic clips will break or the stitching will simply come apart meaning the dog flies around the car anyway.

Just something to consider.
So True!....looks like I have some serious practice to do changing harnesses with my wriggly worm :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ETA: sorry Rylee, if it seems like I've took over your thread, I didnt intend too :(...hope you get to find your perfect harness too :)
No problem at all, it seems we were both after the same info and want the same thing so you have helped!

I think i am going to keep the puppia one for walking and get an ancol one for the car and see how we go from there, i've gotta admit i'm not looking forward to changing it but she will get used to it i'm sure.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I used to use the Ancol padded harness - which I do like and it can be used for both walking and in the car. Sonny now has a Bergan harness as I want a crash tested one and used this when I was on holiday. I did not use it as a walking harness only in the car and did not have a problem getting Sonny in and out of it. Sonny does not like getting harnesses on and to be honest it was harder getting it on in the house (I left it in the car) as he could dodge the straps and much easier when he was in the car as he loves the car. That being said I have a problem with mine in that the breast plate double overs on itself so not sure what I am going to do with it to stop this :confused:

Just to add I think the Bergan harness is actually only tested to withstand the impact based on weight and not tested to see what would happen to the dog in a crash but I may be wrong

·
MillieMoo'sMum
2,015 Posts
No problem at all, it seems we were both after the same info and want the same thing so you have helped!

I think i am going to keep the puppia one for walking and get an ancol one for the car and see how we go from there, i've gotta admit i'm not looking forward to changing it but she will get used to it i'm sure.
Thanks for that Rylee :)

Looks like it's going to be a bit of an expensive time for me ;), I have to get both, like I mentioned Millie hates her Puppia one as I think it maybe due to the fastening clip being so close to her underarm :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.