UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is constantly chasing bees and wasps and flys and know she is bound to get stung one of these days.
What happens, and what should i do if she gets stung?

O, do dogs get stung?? Just wondering that as im typing!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about in the mouth or somehting? She gets on like a cat, and lies and waits and then pounces on them lol, then starts jumping up and down like a loney trying to catch them.

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
As with people, some dogs can have an allergic reaction to bee and wasp stings, and can develop this at any time, even if they have been stung before, and been ok.

The rule of thumb is use bi-carb on bee stigs, and vinegar on wasps. If in doubt, bi-carb seem to work well for both. Obviously not in the mouth.

If your dog catches a bee/wasp and gets stung, there is a risk of them going into anaphylactic shock.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:eek:

Omg, hope that doesnt happen. Do you mean bi-carbonate soda?? Do you mix it with anything, or just put it on dry? Ive only balsamic vinegar and white wine vinegar in the house. Take it that wont do? Need to be prepared.
Can you give a dog a piriton tablet?

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
Yes, piriton is fine to use. Personally id always ring the vets to advise you re. dosage. One of my boys has had piriton.

Not sure about white wine vinegar, i have no idea what the difference is.

Yes, its bi-carbonate soda, stick it on dry, or make a paste i think. Never actually used these methods, but its what they recommend as a first aid treatment.

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
If she gets stunk in the moouth or throat them get to the vets! My dads dally caught a wasp and it stung his throat, it swelled up and he couldn't breath!

I always tell my pair off for chasing bees and wasps as I'm terrified of them!

xx

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im the same, tell her off, but she refuses to pay any attention, and still chases them.

Right, a sting anywhere on the body, fine, unless it swells up loads...

A sting in the mouth, take to vet asap.

:) Cheers guys :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
just one of the reasons i hate summer..my older husky has had a few emergency vet trips for catching and eating wasps and bee's,even now if there is a dead one on the road somewhere he smells it a mile off and still tries to get them! if i dont actually see him in the act i know when he's had one as he just starts licking his front legs manicly..not done it for a few years..touchwood:D

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
im the same, tell her off, but she refuses to pay any attention, and still chases them.

Right, a sting anywhere on the body, fine, unless it swells up loads...

A sting in the mouth, take to vet asap.

:) Cheers guys :)
Mika is the same. For some reason he thinks bees and wasps are fun to chase and eat. Not fun at all! As it is i'm afraid of bees i don't need to be more fearful of them if they hurt him thank you very much lol!

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
A lot depends on the breed, i have springers and they are suseptable to having a reaction from bee stings our first springer got stung on the lip and his whole face swelled up his eyes were like slits as his nose was so swollen it was as hard as a rock. I rang the vets as i didnt know he had been stung so wondered why and they said to look around his mouth they suspected a sting and i saw the sting sticking out of his lip, removed it and within minutes the swelling began to go down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.