Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What happens to unsold kittens?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by cat burglar, Sep 24, 2013.

1. cat burglar

cat burglar PetForums Member

After reading some posts on here re slow kitten sales atm, it got me thinking.

What happens to the kittens that are unsold each year? Do they all remain with their breeders as family pets (there must be a point where a limit is reached ??), or perhaps even sold as adults at a later date?

~Just a genuine curiosity after reading the posts!

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

For me and everyone I know, they would remain until they did sell.

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Yep, they stay until they a) sell or b) worm their way into your heart so much you can't let them leave. But many people are on the look out of adults - I even have one lady on my list who is waiting for an adult only in a couple of years time.

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen PetForums Member

They stay until a new home is found. However long it takes. So far it hasn't been a problem. I've never had any problems finding good homes for my kittens.

5. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

So far I have managed to find homes for kittens before they are ready to leave and have people waiting for next litters but if I did have any unsold kittens they would stay with me until they sold or we would keep them, we have a litter due in November and it will be interesting to see if these go as quickly as we have never bred Torties before and all girls will be torties, not sure how much call there is for torties so we may be keeping a few this time lol.
    Fingers crossed they will prove popular.

6. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

Would any of you breeders consider having more kittens while you still had kittens to sell - or are you at the mercy of when your queen is in call? Presumably you wouldn't get more cats to breed from until the market picked up - or would you continue because you enjoy it? Must be so hard to know what to do?

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It's most unusual for a breeder to end up with kittens unsold. We may come on here and moan about enquiries being thin on the ground but kittens do find homes eventually. When we're used to kittens being booked by 6 weeks old we'll say we have kittens unsold but it doesn't mean we have litters hanging about at 6 months old. I go into major panic mode when I have kittens going for first vacs at 9 weeks and they aren't booked, never had one unsold by 14 weeks :)

As to whether we'd have further kittens when we have some unbooked - well a cat is pregnant for nine weeks and sometimes there's an overlap so yes, it could happen. We are to a certain extent at the mercy of our cats' hormones but I don't think anyone would continue to have litters if the house was filling up with unsold kittens.

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen PetForums Member

I wouldn't plan another litter as long as I have unsold kittens. First of all it's a bad thing risking to fill your home with too many cats (not good for the cats) but I also think it's bad to exceed the demand. Low demand but lots of kittens will only result in desperation, price dumping and breeders starting to sell off kittens to less good homes which is bad for the kittens.

Laurac likes this.
  9. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

Thank you for your honesty.

10. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

Yes if we still had kittens to sell and another queen came into call and if she had been having a few calls beforehand then we would put her to stud also as to not put her at risk to pyo etc. It is dangerous to keep a cat going in and out of call with no matings...so it is either putting them back to stud, putting them on ovarid (a form of birth control) or spay which we wouldn't spay an healthy breeding queen until she was ready for retiring.
    We may end up having two going to stud at the same time at some point.
    We don't plan on having any more queens at the moment, three is enough for us.

11. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

There have been several threads on here about people struggling. It seems a real shame - but I suppose in life people cannot always indulge their hobbies and supply has to meet demand.

12. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It depends what you breed and where you are. Some areas have lots of breeders of breed X. I'm lucky at present - there are very few of mine north of Edinburgh and Glasgow, and I had more reasonable sounding enquiries than kittens.

Hopefully I'll have 2 litters next year, a second for Lola from a different stud and a first for Eadlin.

13. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It can be breed specific or to do with area. I expected demand to plummet through a recession but it hasn't. I don't get the same number of enquiries but I do get the same number of worthwhile enquiries. If anything the recession has helped filter out the flighty types who I wouldn't sell to anyway.

#13 havoc, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  14. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

Am really pleased you are doing ok. Am not bemoaning pedigree breeders - l have 2 peds and a mog myself. Just reading threads and drawing conclusions - and if the market isn't there, however much you (generic) might want kittens, if the market isnt there, is it morally correct to carry on?

15. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

There can be demand for certain colours so I wouldn't berate a breeder for doing a mating which would produce those kittens while they still had a couple of 'unpopular' colours from a previous litter. It isn't always as simple as a demand for kittens in general. I have known breeders who have two breeds to give up with one which just falls out of favour and demand dries up. Nobody in their right mind would just keep producing kittens if homes weren't there for them.

#15 havoc, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  16. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Morally correct? Depends if you are are happy with the general idea of pedigrees, and buy in to the "for the good of the breed" approach I guess. But if you are, and your breed is becoming rare, then I think you could argue that it was.

17. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

But equally - however much someone might want to breed -no one has the divine right?

18. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

A true breeder doesn't breed to create a saleable commodity. A breeder breeds to further their own lines and we happen to be very lucky that those kittens surplus to our own 'requirements' can attract a price to help offset our expenses. You quite rightly refer to this as a hobby and all hobbies cost money. Those who can't afford to carry on without some income to offset the expense would obviously have to give up. A 'market' for pedigree kittens is a relatively recent thing. Kittens not kept for breeding were given away a hundred years ago. Was it immoral to breed then?

19. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

That is why I mentioned the good of the breed. Mind you we are talking about pet cats and not pandas. And no-one has a divine right to breed cats imo. You have obligations if you do but that is about it.

20. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

All I am saying is that simply from reading this forum there seem to be people breeding kittens who cannot sell them. They seem to struggle with lots of aspects of breeding but because they are registered 'breeders' other pf members are meant to perceive them as knowledgeable breeders. I cannot believe I am the only person who comes on here who isn't stupid. If you breed cats, have never shown cats, and cannot sell your cats - what, apart from health tests, separates you from someone who loves their cat and wants kittens. How can you (again generic) claim to be 'furthering the breed" when you don't even know what colours you might be expecting.

dougal22 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice