Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What happens if you don't like your cats personality

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by hd1, Nov 16, 2012.

1. hd1

hd1 Banned

I bumped into a lady at the pet store today who was putting up a sign selling her cat. We got talking and I asked her why she was giving him away and she said she didn't like his personality. Apparently she'd had him for two months and he just didn't like him. He wasn't as cuddly as a cat she had when she was a kid. I explained to her that my cat isn't that cuddly either and only wants to be touched when he's tired. I have never heard of someone giving away an animal because they didn't like their personality. The shop worker looked shocked too. So what happens when your pet doesn't live up to your expectations?

2. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

You keep them and deal with it! If you take on a pet you have to take that risk. I don't like Katy's personality, I don't even like her much a lot of the time, but I adopted her so that is that. She gets well looked after with me, but we are not a 'match' at all.

I certainly wouldn't get rid of her for who she is.

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

That's why it can be better to choose an adult cat or a certain breed, depending on what traits you're looking for!

No cat will be exactly the same as one you had as a kid, and even though you miss your childhood cat/s, with a bit of time you can find you love the new ones just as much!! When you're a child, you are happy to have any cat! She could've grown to love the new one's traits even though they were different - and probably discovered he could be cuddly, after all!!She would've been better off looking to get a second cat with more 'cuddly' traits and integrating the 2 cats together, then she could've had 2 contented cats instead of getting rid of one.... :rolleyes5:

4. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

No doubt she will go on to get another cat ,when she offloads this poor kitty:mad: and if that one does'nt meet her expectations , well it could just go on and on could'nt it ...... Selfish cow:incazzato: Not an animal lover in my opinion !!!!!

5. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

I think you have to not expect a new cat to be a carbon copy of your old one!! They are all very individual although going for a particular breed can give certain character traits although nothing is guaranteed!

My BSH is a sweet cat but he and I have never really clicked and he is much more my husband's cat! Me and the Burmese have a totally different relationship, I am utterly lovestruck and completely wrapped around their paws! But you never get rid of an animal for something so trivial! In fact, to me, you never get rid of an animal full stop unless it is in the animal's best interest to do so!! That's the commitment!

6. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I have a 17 yr old and 2 sister cats that are 5 or 6 now...The sisters are as different as day is night the calico is wonderful personality wise the ginger not so much...lol but I wouldn't give em up they were a package deal when I rescued them at 3 weeks old and I just pray they both have long lives. Just like when my hubby married me I was a package deal with 3 kids 1 very hard to handle one I wouldn't of got rid of him for anything either....

7. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

I also hope if she has children their personalities live up to her expectations :rolleyes:

8. LucyLastic88

LucyLastic88 PetForums Senior

Shocking! Cats change though! Jenson, who we got in April, I'd say his personality has changed twice since we've had him, the second time changing in the last couple of weeks as I've noticed. He's become clingier and more vocal when he sees me. Follows me to the loo and everything now, he didn't before.

9. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

Shocking:rolleyes5: :eek: :mad: :incazzato:

10. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

well they have 8 lives so why can't they have 8 personalities :laugh::laugh:

11. LucyLastic88

LucyLastic88 PetForums Senior

Mine have 9, I think you were 'done' there ;)

12. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Anyone who 'knows' cats also knows that you don't have expectations - you wait to see what you have got and then deal or live with it in the best possible way. I hate it when Merson is being an ar$ey little Grumpypants but I know that when he gives up the love it is the most wonderful thing in the world to receive. So I take the rough with the smooth because I loves him regardless.

I am sick to the back teeth of hearing about people getting rid of cats because they don't come tailor-made to suit requirements. :incazzato:

13. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

we always say we train the dogs, the cats train us.....lol our 17 yr old insists on having 1 tsp of ice cream on a sunday night at 9 30 pm and she doesn't quit till she gets it and only if the hubby is home. She doesn't even ask me.....lol The hubby is very trainable even at 58 hahhahaha

14. mystra

mystra PetForums Member

Shame the cat can't put up her own notice for a new home because she doesn't like her human's personality!

MoggyBaby likes this.
  15. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Cats are meant to have interesting personalities, that's what makes them so much fun to own and so entertaining! You know that when a cat cuddles you, it really has chosen you and entrusted you to keep it safe :001_wub:

16. hd1

hd1 Banned

I'm glad everyone has my opinion on it. She didn't even seem embarrassed by it. And I was amazed the store worker let her put the sign up. Olly is my first cat so I didn't really know what he would be like. Sure he has a habit of walking all over my laptop every five minutes, and his need to wake me at 3 in the morning to have a chat can be very annoying, but I'm sure there are things I do that annoy him too. He sure looked annoyed when I take too long with the treats or I don't want to share my dinner with him. But luckily enough he's decided to keep me.

17. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

You allow your own personality to be moulded until the cat finds you more acceptable.

Seriously, though, I did find Tiny's Tinyness challenging, especially at first, but I knew from the start that he wouldn't be a 24-hour cuddle and purr machine like Simba, and neither of them are like the gorgeous, faithful, slightly bemused and gentlemanly George I had when I was four. Cats are one-offs, and it doesn't take long before you find what makes them special, whether it's an especially insouciant gaze, a talent for opening the freezer or a predilection for social networking. That woman obviously couldn't recognise her cat's potential. More fool her, we at Egyptianreggae Towers say.

18. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

I'd expect nothing to happen! To me, when you take on a pet it is for life, warts and all. It's shocking and upsetting that some people feel animals are disposable, but as long as kittens are so freely available to the masses I can't see it ever changing.

Hugo's personality took a turn for the worse when he was so poorly at about 1 year old. He's 9ish now and it's only in the past few months that he's started to mellow and enjoy attention on our terms as well as his. Previously he'd allow fuss at night time but never in the day :confused: If he's had enough then he lashes out with little warning, the idea of getting rid of him is totally alien.

Not a cat, but my chinchillas are about 5/6. When I took them on as babies I did research thoroughly for a long time but had no idea how destructive and messy they were. They could potentially live until they are 20 and they won't be going anywhere. I made the commitment to them and I'll honour that until they pass away.

19. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Whenever people visit me to see kittens thay quite often go to make their choice based on my adult cats eg they love my brown male neuter so they would choose a brown male. I explain there are two considerations, firstly it won't be identical just because it looks identical and more importantly you get the animal you make. You choose your relationship and how it builds over time. Two months :eek: I'm still building on relationships with cats I've had twelve years :)

20. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Yeah, Oscar and Wilbur p*ss me off.

They are so g*ddam affectionate, always following me around, purring, having that extremely contented stare when they look at me...oh and Oscar jumping up when he sees me, climbing up me and then sitting across my shoulders like some 'living fur' scarf, whilst I clean, read a book or just go downstairs to make a cup of tea.

I wanted aloof cats who ate lasagne, like a book I read in my childhood called 'Garfield'!

OK, which PF member will like to take them off my hands**.....any takers? ;)

* Sound stupid? No more than her explanation - silly woman! :D
    ** Oscar and Wilbur are not really being given away, so please don't start PM'ing me :p

#20 Lumboo, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice