Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What happened when I took my DA dog to the beach.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Micky93, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

So, as most of you know from previous posts I've been really struggling with Eddie being DA for the past 6-8 months. He took it to the extreme and would start attacking a dog before they would even have a chance to sniff him.

Anyway, today it's been a nice day and dogs are allowed back on the beach today so thought it'd be a nice different walk. The panic started to sink in a bit when I saw more dogs than I have ever seen in one place all offlead running around the beach.. I just knew Eddie was going to go ballistic and it would be another stressful walk.

Well, he proved me wrong. Apparently today he was having a day off his DA and played beautifully with every other dog we came across no matter what size, shape or age. It was like a dream come true. He didn't react or doing anything once. I'm still in shock :lol: anyway, here are some pictures for you to savour.

It's safe to say I'm very proud of my boy today (even if he did ruin my pillow yesterday!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And greeting his new girlfriend who he was besotted with:

[​IMG]

2. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

^.^ Mmmmmm :) lovely feeling, isn't it! Well done little guy! :D Fingers crossed he'll be more relaxed on his next walk after this :)

3. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Makes me wonder whether he feels 'insecure' on the other walks for some reason?

Good news though :) Hope it continues!

4. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

I can honestly say that it's the most amazing feeling. When the first dog approached us and he was brilliant I just stood there in shock with my jaw somewhere around my ankles. The other dog's owners must have thought I was cuckoo but it just seems like such a long time he had been happy playing and greeting dogs that I was just thrilled and amazed. By about the fifth or sixth dog I was walking along with a right stupid grin on my face but I didn't care :D

I don't even know why today was any different to him? I mean, I did nothing different and I was about to start sorting out a behaviourist and yet today it was like the last 6-8 months had never happened! Either way I'm very proud of my little guy. I am just praying it stays this way and it's all good from here :thumbup:

5. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Thank you, me too. The last couple of months we've been going to a few lovely walks I know but where there aren't many other dogs so perhaps the break from seeing other dogs and reacting was something to do with it? I really don't know but I am thrilled that he isn't the serious DA obsessed dog I thought he may be turning into :D

6. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

Ooooh you must feel fantastic. I wonder if it was a completely new scene that helped. Maybe we should plan a trip!!

7. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Nice pics!

Maybe just undersocialized- i'm no expert but if he was truly DA then doesn't matter where you are he'd have gone off- the fact alone from one of the pics he is meeting dogs appropriately with a sniff exchange is marvellous- great for your confidence too.

How old is he- you tried training classes?

Nice dog and nice pics- I had a reactive dog in situations, but certainly not a DA dog- mainly on leash and only sometimes- off lead he is a perfect wee gent, infact we're just back from the beach.

Has he damaged/bitten another dog or is it all bluff and show?

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

He does look happy and relaxed. In fact as he is so different Im wondering if his Dog agressive reaction is more a fall out of more challenging environmental factors that stress him out and once over threshold from that its more fear/anxiety agression thats re-directed and just manifests itself in that way.

Might be interesting doing a few more experiments, taking him to less challenging/stressful environments and letting him mix with dogs and see if you constantly get this more relaxed happy playful reaction and no DA.
    If you do maybe there is your answer and what you may need to work on instead.

9. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Eddie will be 2 in January. As a pup he was brilliant, a right little superstar. If anything he was a submissive little thing. However, he was attacked twice before the age of 6 months (poor little mite) and had a few issues after that but never attacking, just a bit of warning then play. From about 14 weeks old to about a month and a half ago we went religiously to training, starting at puppy and working our way up to advanced. I got him out to meet as many dogs as I could and he was great. About 6-8 months ago he was mounted by a large corgi puppy and got hurt and ended up biting him on the ear. This was the first time he'd ever made contact or attacked a dog and from then on he just got worse. Dogs he already knew (such as my OH family's dogs, or my grandparents dog) he was and still is brilliant with, no problems. But any time he came across an unfamiliar dog he would just go mad. He hasn't ever managed to bite or damage another dog other than the corgi (and there was no damage from the bite that time) but whether this is because I have stopped him in time I'm unsure.

That's what I realised today, because I had pretty much got it in my head he was DA but totally proved me wrong today. And it has definitely helped my confidence too which I'm sure in effect probably helps his :D

10. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Good stuff for today and defo with your confidence - I completely empathise with that!

Thank you for telling me more about you guys and sorry if i appeared rude in my first post- I just didn't know- and supposed to be writing a presentation so couldn't scroll through your old threads (procrastination thy name is pet forums ;)

It's an easy trap to fall into i think- thinking your dog is DA- i think because of their past and certainly your own worrieds about being a responsible owner. I think so long as you can be relaxed but careful you should continue this beach trip- especially if he's coming away with good experiences and it may just boost his own confidence.

One thing if there was a reaction i would ask him some obedience then ask the other owner if we could walk with them for a few minutes (unless the other dog was too reactive also). After just a few minutes of perseverence the walking motion would help settle him and the 'drama' was over.

Well it worked ofr us, it's sometimes awkward and ( mine is staff cross so you got more than a few nervous responses) not everyone will say ok (fair enough really) but the vast majority did, were very understanding and helpful.

Re: the mounting and attack- yeah he could very well be scared and nervous from this- positive experiences are worth the awkwardness of talking to owners, well in my case

Good luck and cracking pics...
    Bruno was off in a group of 4 little jack russels, a pug, a beagle (howling), 2 lhasos, 4 labs, one mal, 2 westies, 3 crossbreeds and behaved in a very nice manner with them all ( only one warning bark when the horny pug tried to hump him :)- the beach was heaving with people today as a rare solar event occurred in Scotland- we saw the sun AND it was warm

11. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

You didn't seem rude at all :)

I'm planning on sticking with the beach walk (fingers crossed he acts like today!) and hopefully we are on the path to sorting him out :D

12. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

aw thanks...

Aye but don't worry if you see a reaction- just remember he is capable of being a social little dog- good luck and there will be backwards moments and forward moments :)

Good luck and happy walking!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice