Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What happened to my dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by leo_ge, May 15, 2019.

1. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    My dog is 10 month old (cavapoo) and she is toilet trained, we walk her at 8:30, 17:00, 21:30 and we feed her at 9:00 and 20:30.
    Last week she suddenly started having diarrhea and vomiting.
    We went to vets and were told that she is ok and it will pass in several days.
    Indeed after 3-4 days she became better, she does not vomit and no diarrhea anymore.
    But she now does her poo in the flat consistently, even though it is nearly hard (perhaps slightly liquid).
    Does this mean that during the period of diarrhea our dog became toiled untrained and we need to start from the beginning?
    Many thanks!

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

No, your dog won't have regressed - once toilet trained most dogs are happy to stay that way - whilst your vet may have said that it will right itself in a few days (bit of a guess there or did he do tests?) what is most likely is that although your dog is mostly recovered from the point of view of the actual bacteria/virus she still has issues with her tummy and this most likely still causes her not to get too much warning when she needs to go. Just be gentle with her. Stay calm, no reprimands for having 'accidents'.

Try to remember to take her out as often as you can until she is fully recovered - which could be a couple of weeks - especially if the diarrhoea itself caused an irritation. But unless there is another flare up her tummy should settle soon.

J

Torin. and kimthecat like this.
  3. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Thank you!
    I also thought that this is temporary, so will be patient and will try to walk her perhaps more times a day.

4. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Hm... it does not look like accidents. Sneaking to the most remote corners of the flat; waits until nobody is around and does the poo. It is not liquid at all and it happened not long after she was walked and did her business outside. And she does not show any signs that she want to the toilet. :(

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Has she been punished for accidents? Or rather she's heard you curse thinking oh not again even if not directed at her? She may still sense it....

6. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Cursing is common in our house

7. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Looks I finally realized what the problem is. I researched in the internet and found that if your dog did something bad you need to avert your eyes and not to look at it and not to pay attention. That's exactly what we did when our dog made its business indoors! So because we averted our eyes and did not socialize when she pooed indoors, she learnt the anti-pattern: do it secretly. I read about the anti-patterns. Wondering what now... the logic tells we need to stop averting our eyes and instead use positive reinforcement e.g. treats when she does indoors, and she will unlearn using secret places and will do it openly. Once this is achieved will think of the next steps...

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Anti patterns??? Where are you learning this?

The reason most dogs tend to hide when toileting in door is usually down to being punished.

If you start giving praise for going inside,which surely you don't want then your dog will learn to go indoors.

Start a good toilet training routine using the outside

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice