Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What goes into showing?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tamiyamumma, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Tamiyamumma

Tamiyamumma PetForums Member

I have been following the build up to the supremes today and congratulations to everyone who got a rosette!!

I was wondering if the shows are only for peds or moggies can show too. My lumix is a beautiful long haired mog (tad biased I know!) and would love to see how she would do if there are such events.

We are based in East Yorkshire so would like something close by if possible and also what is needed for shows? Xx

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

At every GCCF show, household pets are welcome. That means moggies as well as pedigrees.

Have a look on the GCCF website under showing. You'll see a list of all upcoming shows and locations, so you can choose what to enter. You will need white show equipment and then some combsl, brushes etc to groom her. She may or may not need a bath, but that depends on the cat herself.

3. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

I'm in east yorks too. It's rubbish for local shows. This year I did Notts & Derby (in Jan), Humb/Lincs (at Newark in July) and Manchester (in Sept). You also have Yorkshire cc in Oct.
    Travelling is a must for us east yorks folk I'm afraid.
    Have a look on the shows section of this site and defo the GCCF website too.
    Let me know if I can help further.

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If you think you might like to show her, visit a show near you to see what goes on. However be warned - it involves lots of early mornings and long days, and lots of blind judges who give another cat the red rosette! Household pets are judges on condition and temprement, and should be perfectly groomed - they will be marked down if they are not.

5. TheCatSlave

TheCatSlave Guest

Haha, can you imagine Shadow doing it? Oh goodness:D He wouldn't sit still!!!
    Is showing expensive?

6. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

The local shows usually cost somewhere around £30 to enter (per cat). You can set yourself up with the white show equipment for about £15 and then you have that until it wears out. The only other costs would be transport costs unless you need stuff to prep your cat (shampoos and things?!!?! I only show the Burmese who are simple to prep!!).

7. TheCatSlave

TheCatSlave Guest

I half expected it to be like £100...
    haha xx

8. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

No! :) But it can get expensive with multiple cats though some clubs offer discounts for 3 cats of more!!

The Supreme is more and you have all the show drapes and pen decorations to do!!

9. TheCatSlave

TheCatSlave Guest

Don't think Shadow would cope tbh :)
    x

10. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

He's a good age to try him!! I took Darcy when she was 14 weeks and 5 days and Remy wasn't much older at his first show!!

11. TheCatSlave

TheCatSlave Guest

I have a feeling he'd get really nervous and I hate seeing him nervous xx

12. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

Well, you know him best. Mine seem to quite enjoy it or at least, don't mind either way! I wouldn't take a cat if it distressed them!

13. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

there is a show in sheffield in 2 weeks.. if you can get there could be worth a look to see what goes on.. especially the HHP section.

if you do plan on showing.. firstly does your cat look like anything pedigree?.. if not then non pedigree LH/SLH class should be entered. if you put a piccy up then i could let you know exactly what class.... if/when you do enter your first show.. ask show manager for a show buddy.. most shows offer these now,

14. Tamiyamumma

Tamiyamumma PetForums Member

Here is a piccy of lumix the cat I was thinking of showing.

Attached Files:

15. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

Well, I would think he would be SLH. So, a show you could enter would be Notts & Derby (just a trip down the M1) and you would enter under Longhair or SLH, Self coloured (meaning of one colour).

16. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

I'm considering that one

17. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

Well, I would have been there with both of mine if it were not for pesky foot surgery at the beginning of Jan!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice