Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What games do you play with your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jason25, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Member

Just curious, what games do you play with your dog/dogs? I'm looking for new ideas really.

At the moment we play with a flirt pole, fetch and tug of war.

What do you do?

lullabydream and Cookielabrador like this.
  2. Cookielabrador

Cookielabrador PetForums Member

Cookie enjoys tug, clicker training, hide the treat, fetch. Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment :D

Jason25 and lullabydream like this.
  3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Our favourite game is searching for treats either in the garden or in the house.

The other one we can only play in the garden - mine's 1500 m sq - is to tell the dogs to run ahead, then for them to come back when called!

Jason25, LinznMilly and lullabydream like this.
  4. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

We play chase the biscuit, catch the biscuit, find the treats/find it, tug, hide and seek recall, and I can get it before you can (this is izzy's favourite game with a toy).

We play a few impulse control games with the flirt pole or with their toys and treats. Plus their game puzzles, scent games and a bit of rough play smacky botty and grab your leg games.

Jason25 and LinznMilly like this.
  5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Too many to mention! Lots of confidence games like noise box and cardboard chaos, as well as 2 paws up on different objects. Fetch and tug games to help with recall, flirt pole is great too. Clicker training, shaping games, proofing known behaviours, distance and duration on behaviours, fun agility, premack, bed games, find it games, fitness, handling games, ermmm....plus enrichment and puzzle feeders.

Torin., Jason25 and LinznMilly like this.
  6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

They're not mad on games, they tend to play with each other but they like to play Seek the toy /treats.

Jason25 likes this.
  7. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums Member

We like hide and seek and hide the biscuit.
    Also a good game of tug mixed with drop it training is fun.

kimthecat and Jason25 like this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Toffee does not want to play with us so the only thing I do with her is drop from a distance but she does not really treat it as a game. Candy chooses to play tuggy and retrieve toys in the house but does not play with me outside.

Jason25 likes this.
  9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My lot arent really big on playing, even amongest themselves.
    Adam likes fetch but you have to have 2 toys coz otherwise he wont give you the toy back (and yet still wants you to throw it somehow!o_O).
    Hannah doesnt really play much at all, just the occasional playfight with Adam.
    Heidi likes to play fight and play chase with me. Also her and Alfie both like to play tug with me.
    TBH though Alfie is less about the playing and more about demanding 'squeeze you to death' cuddles that last way too long!:rolleyes:

Jason25 and Beth78 like this.
  10. Kittynanna

Kittynanna PetForums Member

Harvey has more toys than a child, he repeatedly gets them out of the toy box...... he loves to play with his sprouty ball, brings it to hubby, he throws it to me and I throw it down long hall into bedrooms......family game!!!

He has a Winnie the Pooh toy, and that gets balanced on hubby foot so he can flick it up, catch it then throw it to be brought back....

Dog biscuits get put on foot, flicked up, then we have to flick it across the room for him to go find....

My husband is chief playmate.....he rarely wants me to play, but punishes hubby...hahaha

He is 13 now and has slowed down, but used to tickle me when he had more teeth, he would somehow use his bottom tooth to wedge in the vent part of a squeezy toy to carry it better!!!

kimthecat, Jason25 and Beth78 like this.
  11. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Member

Thanks for the replies, I might try some hide and seek, and try some hiding treats games.

I think her nose might be broke though, she's struggled finding treats that were right in front of her before :Hilarious

12. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Agreed! If your training methods are fun and positive then that in itself is basically a game from the dog's pov :)

lullabydream likes this.
  13. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

There's some recent research that shows if you make training a game you only need about 20 reps for it to create a new synapse in the brain and therefore become learned, otherwise it takes up to 400 repetitions to create a new synapse!

Torin. likes this.
  14. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Zoomies is Apollo's favourite game. Also playing fetch/tug and shaping games. Tried to teach some scent games but the treats he likes and will sniff out the cat will also sniff out and steal which makes it difficult

Sarah H and lullabydream like this.
  15. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Snooze you loose...

In my house unfortunately its Maisie that misses out. New treat dispensing toy I got this week.. Set it up on the easiest level... Harley whose just turned 5 month old figured it out in 5 minutes.. She's never used an activity toy except treat ball and Kong wobbler. Maisie watched enjoyed the rewards but still wouldn't do it herself to get the rewards even after watching

Apollo2012 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice