Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what foods could make rabbits sterile for a while ???

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by FEJA JUODAS, May 20, 2010.

1. FEJA JUODAS

FEJA JUODAS Banned

i am bothered. that my show rabbits i got took over 5 months to breed ! all a year old each ! now...2 females of 3 have produced at last...i add not sure the male papillon who died actually recently for no known reason was the father...probably another male we popped in with her...but it was strange, 3 females and 3 different matched males just produced NOTHING for over 5 months despite masses of sex session ! :)

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Some bunnies just dont want to breed, to be honest i dont blame them! I have an ex-breeding doe that refused to have anymore kits, i rescued her as she was of no use anymore, they were going to cull her.

3. FEJA JUODAS

FEJA JUODAS Banned

les races de lapins

well so it seems, alain said once they kicked off they would be ok and said be patient mostly...it was not spring yet when we were waiting..

oh, to see the BEAUTIFUL pictures of rabbit breeds in France take a look at the link above !

i add...i am not on speaking terms wiht that organisation anymore !! LOL ! i upset them on various counts...mostly my criticisms of battery rabbit farming they of course approve of as obviously earn from them probably. sigh. well EU laws i got into...never mind that...rabbit fanciers belong to this association...NOT ME !

4. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

One of mine only had one....a litter of 11 and after that nothing....can't say I blame her though....imagine having 11 to feed....no thanks lol

5. FEJA JUODAS

FEJA JUODAS Banned

ooh the ones mine made were not large litters ! only 5 from my Fauve de Bourgogne ! all PERFECT ! but 2 just died too ! darned fragile these rabbits i say...

so now i only have 3 baby fauves !

sigh. no idea how many PAPILLONS yet ! can't touch the nest ! and the GRIS DE BOURBONNAIS ? she SCREAMS LOUDLY if she even SEES the male pass by her cage ! bit him ! bled him too ! on the paws ! was told WATCH OUT ! some females TAKE OFF THE MANHOOD of males if annoyed !

they are VERY aggressive the greys...diggers...and jumpers...UNLIKE the PAPILLONS ! they hardly MOVE ! love just being STROKED and NIP me if i cease for a moment !! LOL !! :thumbup::thumbup:

6. Jade-marie

Jade-marie PetForums Junior

Your correct a female will bite the male in his genital area if she
    doesn't like him or doesn't want to e mated. Very rare though.

U should make sure mum isn't dehydrated as that can stop quite a bit of
    milk flow which causes babies to become
    dehydrated.

If u can get hold of bio lapis for you does who have kits in with them this will help.

7. FEJA JUODAS

FEJA JUODAS Banned

ooh they always have plenty of water...important in 40 degrees heat of southern france often that...big 1 litre water bottles each daily...

what is bio lapis ? will read later today...is 2am here in france...had a bad day with dog trainers today and other people...will feel better in the morning...and i miss my rabbits...cuddles with them.

8. Jade-marie

Jade-marie PetForums Junior

They can still get dehydrated, bio lapis is a powderform that u put in ther water so they get extras that atop them from dehydrating. It's worth getting some as u live in hot temps.

Try line your bunnies with other males it may be of they are first timers and over a year old they won't be able to breed they need breedingup before they are a year.
    If they still won't line then try other males and if you continue to have a problem you will have to rehome to pet home.
    Unless u choose to keep them as pets.

9. FEJA JUODAS

FEJA JUODAS Banned

thank you i will ask for this stuff at vets and country vets. these are pet rabbits, show rabbits. 2 out of 3 eventually reproduced, lost 2 litters of the fauve, maybe the nasty haemorage fly borne disease VHD now i got vaccins ok for over 6 weeks old kittens and adults, but that still means death possible in first weeks....it is now raining cats and dogs good news in hot southern france so less flies !! LOL !!! oooh my bunnies...i adore the greys...bourbonnais breed...but those are the ones i have no other grey male for sigh...the papillon eventually produced with another papillon not so fancy pedigree male yes...sigh...well what superb rabbits they produced though...wonderful ones...very interesting was this fact...the female is the rarer colour of blue-grey and white, the male black and white, i would have thought that black being a dominant colour most kits would have been black and whites but no ! ALL were blues !!! wonderful ! so that pleased me...softer colour to look at less spectacular but i have the BLUES often right now with dog problems so relevant to my moods LOL !

aha. i should spend more time on this forum yes. you lot don't seem very up on things like VHD but then not so many flies in GB. still. nasty killer, kills in hours once they get it.:mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice