Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What foods are good for putting weight on cats ??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by moandben, May 28, 2010.

1. moandben

moandben PetForums Member

Hello, Just after some tips/ideas what I can feed to put weight on my cat?
    He has been ill since end of Jan 2010 and has nearly made a full recovery but is still lacking in weight muscle.... He is a lot more active now so is slowly building up muscle but doesnt seem to be gaining much weight.

The vets are not worried but I would just like him back to normal..

Thanks in advance..

Jen x

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! If I remember rightly you were thinking of feeding raw. Are you still going to do that or have you already started doing that? I personally think that will bring your cat back to a healthy weight in no time.

Or are you after some commercial food to beef him up?

Good to hear that he continues to be well! :thumbup:

3. moandben

Hello, we tried the raw, he ate bits, some days he likes it other days he doesnt. We still have some Darlings in the freezer !!

I really want something to beef him up... He is quite fussy.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

How much does he weigh now and how much do you think he should weigh? What are you currently feeding him?

5. moandben

The first day I took him to the vets end of Jan he was 5.5kg. And had lost a tiny bit. Last Tuesday he was 4.8. He is still on a lose dose of Steroids daily but are very much reduced.

At the Moment food options I have tried or are availble are..

Wet: Wiskers, felix, Hi Life, Hi Life Pate, Sanisnsburys ( better meat content) Felix Kitten, Aplaws, Tesco Luxury and a few others.

Dry, At the moment the only dry he will eat is purina kitten..

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I personally think that he will naturally put his weight back on now that his illness has been sorted. Is there anything he doesn't eat? Does he eat pate? Is he ok with a tiny bit of rice (I am not usually an advocate of grains and rice but ....)? If yes to both, the have a look at grau, which you can get from zooplus. It has a meat content of 89% and a good fat proportion too. Or there is Joe and Jill's Pet kitchen dinner, which is a pate made from 90% meat but they contain a lot of fat (8.7% -10%). Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet

You could also check out nutri-cal: Nutri-Cal Caloric Supplement 120g Tube - £6.32. There is a prescription diet Hills has called Hills A/D but I doubt your cat is skinny enough to warrant that route or your vet would have suggested it.

7. moandben

Thank you very much Hobbs, off to google them all.. vet is not worried at all, just me....

thank you

8. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

i wouldnt worry too much yet hun.

Slowly slowly is the key, let him build up muscle along with a healthy layer of fat. If he piles on the pounds too quickly it may cause health problems even if he isnt clinically overweight.

Slowly increase his excercise and increase his portion sizes. He seems to like most foods, but i would steer clear of applaws/encore/almo nature due to their too low fat content for now. Hobbs has given you some very good suggestions, I would like to add feline feyre and ziwi peak to the list too. Ziwi peak lamb is too high in fat (much much much too high) but maybe as a treat once a week it would be fine, the other ziwi peaks arent nearly so high x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice