Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What food?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Eviecat, May 15, 2017.

1. Eviecat

Eviecat PetForums Newbie

Hi!
    Evie is coming up to one year old and I would like some advice about what would be the best cat food for her. At the moment she is on kitten Royal Canin which she was on at a rescue we have got her from. She also has a half of Felix kitten pouch. I would like to start introducing adult food to her. Is there any that you would recommend? Evie has a chronic gingivitis which she was on medication for - the flare up has now calmed down - for now.
    Thanks

2. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Wet is best, there is a saying on here that even the cheapest wet is better than any dry. You might find a pate type is better for her gums or you could look at raw feeding which is better all round.

If you are shopping in supermarkets, Hi Life is a good pate type. Online there are lots to choose from, Animonda, Grau, Om Nom Nom look on Zooplus. If you have a Pets Corner (usually in garden centres but now also in shops) I have been buying Natures Menu, and recently Little Big Paw and Cheshire Cat, all pates.

For really soft ones that can be mixed almost to a liquid with water, Gourmet tins, but they are not the best quality food.

Eviecat likes this.
  3. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Hi have a look at Zooplus. They have a big selection. You need a complete food not a complimentary one. Look for a high protein content. Say compare felix contents with Feringa or bozita. The saying wet is best is true. Try not to feed dry. I add a bit of warm water to any wet. You might try a few before you find a couple of well received ones.

A lot of supermarket wet food isn't very good i.e. Whiskers . Cats need meat not cereal and grains. I always suggest you look at raw feeding, there are lots of threads on here. Try a bit of raw pork or chicken thigh. Cats are fine with uncooked bone but never give cooked bone as it splinters and can cause internal bleeding. Raw feed is cheap. A pack of chicken wings is a few £'s. Raw fee cats usually have fab clean teeth

Have fun deciding.

Eviecat likes this.
  4. Eviecat

Eviecat PetForums Newbie

Thank you blue ordelia and maisiecat for your advice. The amount of cat food on offer is mindblowing. I have now bought her Hi Life to try and she loved it. I will have a think about raw feeding too. Evie has been only on dry food while at a rescue and I have continued that with some wet food for breakfast but I will now think about fazing out dry food and just feeding wet or raw and see how it goes.
    Thanks again

bluecordelia, maisiecat and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice