Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What food to feed my cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lindseyd, Mar 13, 2019.

1. lindseyd

lindseyd PetForums Newbie

Hi.
    I am trying to do some research into what the best food is for my cat, balanced with cost.
    Currently I am buying the 40 pouch boxes of either Felix or Whiskas (depending on what’s on offer) and I just bought a 3kg bag of Iams Proactive. I always leave biscuits out for him and he gets a wet pouch in the morning and evening.

Could I look to switch to a complete, dry food for his food needs or is it better for cats to have wet food everyday?

Just looking to find out what is best for him and also not too pricey.

Thanks all

2. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

Hello :)

Wet food is much better for a cat. They don't get enough moisture they need from dry food and have a low thirst drive, so can get chronically dehydrated which will affect the kidneys. Dry food is also quite high in carbohydrates which is fattening for cats.

I would stop feeding the dry food ASAP. You could feed what you have left as treats in a puzzle feeder. I have a ball Kong one that I give my cat every week or so. He loves it!

Good wet food needs to be grain and sugar free. Ideally vegetable free too.

Lots of us one here buy from Zooplus. They sell an awful lot of food and it can get quite frustrating trying to find decent food. A thread was created to help find the good stuff.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

Bare it mind it is now a couple of years old so the prices might not be up to date.

Since you feed chunks in sauce/jelly, I suggest you get Bozita tetra paks and Miamor Ragout Royale. Get small/trial packs to start with and see how you get on. Buy another brand or two or get some toys or something, it's free delivery for orders over £29. You could also get Hi Life from the shops, although make sure they are complete. I find their complete and complimentary food packages not that different! The complimentary ones say on the pack that they can be fed a couple of times a week.

Make sure you introduce the new food slowly over a few days to avoid tummy upsets.

3. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

A wet food I use that costs less than Felix etc is the tins of Butchers classic - around £3 for 6 tins in most supermarkets.

It's not the best food out there (I'm sure the "meat and animal derivatives" are a long way from muscle meat that humans would like, but is the best balance of price and nutrition that I've found. There is no added carbs or sugars, or other veg ingredients, and the protein comes from some part of an animal. There is lot of jelly, which I've recently seen some concern about, but on balance I'll continue to use it in the rotation to keep the costs sensible.

It's considered best to find a range of wet foods your cat will accept, and feed them in rotation. This avoids boredom and also means that if you can't get hold of one brand you have other foods the cat will eat.

You might also want to read up about raw food, see if it's something you'd like to feed. It's considered the "gold standard" for being closest to a natural prey diet, but not always the most convenient.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice