Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what food to feed - heart murmur

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jugsmalone, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

So Coles has a grade 2 heart murmur and I'm wondering should I change his food to something that will help his heart? He is currently raw feed but I'm not sure if a raw diet will help his heart?

He's been on water tablets for the last two weeks but he keeps vomiting. I have spoken with the vet and they have said not to give him anymore water tablets but to keep a close eye on any coughing. If the coughing comes back they can put him on a short course of water tablets. They are not sure if it is the water tablets coursing the vomiting as he has a few different meds I.e heart and arthritis meds.

Coles had a blood test two weeks ago as he keeps having fainting fits but the blood test was normal. Vets thinks these fits are due to blood pressure dropping. Coles had a fainting fit yesterday.

Any advice on diet and heart murmurs would be appreicated.

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'd probably be tempted to suggest similar as for us, less of the rich red meats, more fish, chicken and tripe, and the minimum of dairy products. Other than that, ensure he keeps fit and trim, but I would imagine a raw diet is going to be an easy way to ensure he gets all those healthy foods without any fillers, or unknown fats.

3. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Bonnie threw up with the heart meds (due to congestive heart failure) when she didn't have any food beforehand with them. She had to have one in the morning and because she didn't get a full meal then she often just got the tablet. So we gave her a decent sized bonio biscuit with the tablet and that took away the sickness. Water tablets didn't cause her to throw up.

4. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

The most important thing is to keep them at a good, lean weight and watch the salt intake.

What arthritis medication is he on? Arnie has been fine with all his various heart meds but the painkiller he had been on for months for his arthritis suddenly started making him sick so he was swapped onto another and since then he's been fine.

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I can't help with the diet question I'm afraid but Alfie has just started water tablets with no ill effect.

As WSD says, are they/you sure it's not the arthritis meds?

Are they NSAIDs?

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Is he on Furosemide? If he is then it can in some dogs, cause an imbalance in the electrolytes like sodium and potassium.
    If the electrolytes go out of balance you can get side effects like vomiting and diarrhoea so it may be possible. If they really pee excessively you can get dehydration and changes in blood pressure too so it could be possible it is that.

If he is on Non steroidal anti inflammatories too like metacam and rimadyl etc that can cause gastric upsets like vomiting and diarrhoea too. Really with any long term medication especially NSAIDs they should have regular blood tests.
    Not sure what heart meds he is on? It would be easy enough to check though if vomiting or gastric is a known side effect. If its happened after he went on the Furosemide though it could be causing it if it messed with his electrolyte levels.

Whole Dog journal has some info on supplements and things that can help.
    with congestive heart failure, although as far as I understand it a grade 2 as I think they go up to 6 is a pretty low grade one, or is until you may start to get other problems and symptoms. Don't know if that will be any help?

Understanding Congestive Heart Failure - Whole Dog Journal Article

7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Blue has heart disease and eats a raw diet - wouldn't want him to have anything else, especially not when his body is weak and immune system compromised - good, fresh, natural food is the very best thing for them IMO. I do give him CardioS which is a heart health supplement alongside his heart meds.

8. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

My old lady who is now 13 was diagnosed last year with a murmur, I remember my vet's words were" Mmm that's a nice murmur" !
    The murmur is noted as a grade 3.
    She is fed a raw diet and has no medication. We must be very lucky.

We treat her no differently than before, she comes out everywhere with us and the pack and still enjoys bramble bashing and flushing the phesants (she is better now than she was as a youngster, just completely deaf! ) She enjoys her life to the full.
    I would much preffer that she went quickly when her time comes and with dignity and best of all that she is hunting when it happens!!

9. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Thanks for your post, he's on troxicol. He's been on his heart meds since July and the water tablets for the last two weeks. He has started being sick since starting the water tablets. He's not had any today and hasnt been sick. It may just be conincidence though.

10. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

He's on troxicol and he's been fine so far. He's only started being sick since starting the water tablets. He also has hydro for his heart murmur and arthritis.

I'm glad to read Arnie's doing well with is heart meds and painkillers. :)

11. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

We're not sure yet if it is the water tablets or not but he hasnt been sick today and hasn't had the water tablets. He has turned his nose up as his dinner this evening, but that's not unusual for Coles. Sometimes he like his dinner a little later. :rolleyes: Yes he is on NSAIDs.

12. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Yes Coles is on Furosemide, along with Vetmedin and Troxicol and as I've stated above, he's only started being sick since starting the Furosemide. I've just got to watch for any increase in coughing as the vet said to stop giving him the Furosemide for now and if he continues to vomit she was to see him.

Thanks for the link and information, its very helpful. :)

13. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Coles is 14 next week and can out run (well out walk) Buster any day! Buster is 4. Coles is also deaf but it doesn't stop him. He's very energentic for his age and would walk all day if we let him. He still thinks he's a young pupster.

I'm pleased your old lady is doing so well in her old age. :)

14. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I know nothing about heart problems for dogs but how often are you feeding as I would imagine that may have an impact and may be something you may want to look into.

15. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I'm not sure if it would make any difference to you, but our vet put Pip on Frusol liquid. He hasn't been sick or had any other problems with it.

16. petsworld

petsworld PetForums Newbie

I would advise you to feed your dog with natural food along with supplements or medicines as suggested by the veterinarian. It would be good if you can have your dog X-ray done and also check his weight and body nutrients too. And also I would advise you to show loving and caring nature to him.

17. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

:eek: :skep: Ok where in the previous posts has the OP not shown loving and caring nature?!

18. petsworld

petsworld PetForums Newbie

I’m not commenting against you but I’m just advising because it can be good for your dog if u give extra care when he is ill.

19. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Hi Goblin. Coles is fed twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. Sometimes he doesn't always want his morning meal.

20. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Coles is fed a natural diet and supplements. Can you just advise what benefits xrays would be to Coles? As I don't see the point in putting my nearly 14 year old dog through xrays.

As for advising to show him love and care where does it indicate I don't care or love him. I don't think I'd be asking for advice if I didn't care and love my dog. :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice