Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What flea treatment does everyone recommend?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by newfiesmum, Oct 28, 2012.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I usually use frontline but it doesn't seem to do a lot for these two with their thick fur.

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Front line stopped working here.:(

I've found RIP Flea spray amazing. I back it up with Advantage Spot on's but have only used them a couple of times since using RIP fleas once a year.

Def a combination I'll be sticking too (until the little blighters fight back).

I'd love to rely on something more natural but with 2 cats, I'm happy knowing this works and at least the spray reduces the amount of spot on I use.:D

3. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I do try not to use anything if possible....just the good old hoover twice a day in the hot weather and moulting time. I do have a flea spray for the carpets and furniture that I spray before going away at weekends.

I did notice a few little horrors in july on them:eek: So I got Bob Martins spot on action extra and it seemed to work on them all;) and did twice.

My SIL has used frontline this year and said its just not working on her 3:(

4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

They cannot be seen on my dogs but Diva has been scratching like mad and I can see some "dirt". I used to use something on Sammy that you sprayed on and rubbed in, from the vet, and he used to lie and purr while I did it. Can't remember what it's called.

5. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

Yes I remember we used to spray ours with something years ago but cant remember its name.
    Bob Martins do a spray in PAH for £2 for dogs from 12weeks but dont know how effective it would be.

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

It was Nuvan top I think :)

7. joyous growler

joyous growler PetForums Member

Hi everyone,

I posted something about natural flea removal and preventing here:

Greetings,:)

Al

8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I use Indorex household spray around four times a year. I spray the edges of the rooms, under the sofa cushions, in the kennel, etc. I can only recall seeing a flea on Flynn once and looking behind his ears I saw flea dirts :eek: At that time I bought Johnsons For Fleas tablets, which work internally on the dogs skin making fleas leave the dog as they are killed or jump off and I sprayed the house. I treated all the dogs with these tablets and apart from a couple of them scratching more for an hour or two after having them there was no other side effect on the Mals or the little ones. Now I add a small clove (not bulb, lol) of garlic to a meal twice a week and I don't see fleas. Because all the Mals have light fur behind their ears dirts are easy to see and if you put some flecks onto damp white kitchen roll it goes pinkish if they're flea dirts.

I looked at Frontline and it was £25 in Asda :rolleyes: and it's a contact killer so the flea has to actually walk across that thin line where it's placed. I don't hold out much hope for that kind of treatment.

I always think if you're bitten by Mosquitos you spray them with Raid (well I do) so if you treat the environment so as fleas can't live in it you're a good way to keeping them off the dogs. Fleas don't live on dogs and nest in furniture or carpet edges, they feed on the dog and when finished jump off. With Indorex spray it remains active after spraying for three months and is good stuff IMO. :)

ETA - Indorex is £17 in Asda but £11 p&p free from Best Pet online. It's a huge can and mine lasts a good year or more so its well worth the money!

#8 Malmum, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  9. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Well now we have had a good cold spell I don't worry so would you like some minus weather for a bit I'll share?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice