Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Fish....

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 14, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

In my new tank (31gal) I am going to have Platy's. Maybe some Mollies, Probably some Guppies and a plec or two.

I was thinking having one or two slightly bigger fish but wasn't sure what. Can I put two dwarf Gourami's in there?

x

2. kelly82

kelly82 PetForums Junior

research aquarium cycling before you do anything else if you dont know about it already :)

make sure you dont get the common plecs, they grow way too big for you tank. go for something small like bristlenose,and remember they need bogwood in their diet.

mollies tend to need salt in their water so i wouldnt mix them with the others, but thats your preference. other than that, maybe a school of 6 cory catfish in the bottom, they are fun to watch and you can get many different types, though get all the same as they like company of their own. what about a school of neon dwarf rainbows, they are very pretty.

i wouldnt add more than 1 gourami as they can get aggressive with each other, so stick to just the one.

if i was stocking your tank, id go with
    1 bristlenose plec,
    5/6 cory catfish,
    6 dwarf rainbows,
    5 male guppies,
    5 various coloured male or female platies (not both as you will end up over stocked with fry-same with guppies)
    1 dwarf gourami (you will rarely find a female dwarf, if you do, they are usually a dull brown colour) or a male and female pair of pearl gourami-research fin shapes so you can identify which is male and female of each as the aquatics centres rarely know for sure and you will end up with almost anything!

once you have a few fish in there, keep tabs on your nitrate levels,when you are reaching 40ppm within a week id class it as stocked or you will end up having to do more than 1 partial water change a week to keep the water healthy for them.

also beware of any fin nipping fish if you are going for guppies, they look like fish flakes and will get picked at.

try to keep a few live plants in your tank too, they help keep water better for the fish, reducing the nitrates and also giving the fish something to pick at between feedings.

#2 kelly82, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My tank won't be ready for water for another few weeks, and then another 4 weeks until fish so I have a while to research everything more :)

x

4. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Not necessarily, the only Plecs that require bogwood as a source of Lignin are those from the genera Peckoltia, Hypancistrus and Panaque. ;)

Another problem with mixing livebearers is the risk of cross-breeding between two different species.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice