Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What fish can I get?

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by EternalAngelxo, Mar 1, 2017.

1. EternalAngelxo

EternalAngelxo PetForums Newbie

I've found out that I may be getting a 70 litre tank soon, which will be my first ever fish tank! I have a lot of questions but the biggest question is: what fish can I get, and how many? My mother doesn't really want a tank with a heater so the fish will have to be able to survive without one. I've heard certain danios are pretty tough and can also survive a fishless cycle (I seriously doubt I can be patient enough to wait out a 3-6 week cycle with no fish, not unless I have to!) and I'm also interested in things like corydoras, tetras, and other interesting fish, but as I likely won't be able to get a heater, my choices are pretty limited.

My house is quite drafty but it goes from being quite cold in the winter/spring to quite hot in the summer. Of course it's the UK so it never goes anything above a certain temperature and I do have a fan I could possibly use to help cool the tank down if it got too hot in my room.

Something else is, what's better - fake plants or real plants? I'm scared that I'll have to do too many water changes with the real plants or I could potentially introduce some plants with parasites/diseases and it might stress me out too much. But then fish do prefer real plants and fake plants don't help with the oxygen levels like real plants do.

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Hi :)

First things first, a fishless cycle is a must. I know it's really exciting getting your first tank, and you want fish in there as soon as possible, but it really is worth doing things properly and cycling the tank first. Whether or not danios are hardy enough to withstand the cycle is irrelevant, as they could still die and they certainly WILL suffer. Fish can't cry out like other creatures when they are in pain, but they do feel it and knowingly exposing them to toxic ammonia & nitrite is wrong. Please cycle the tank first.

As for fish there are a few choices. Zebra and leopard danios of course, though your tank might be borderline too small as they are very active, or white cloud mountain minnows which are a bit smaller and more colourful. Variatus platies would be fine in an unheated tank, as would peppered corys (you'll need sand as a substrate for corys though). I'm not great on stocking, but I imagine in a 70L tank you would probably only be able to have maybe two groups of fish? So maybe 6-8 white clouds and 6 corys or something like that. I don't keep small fish though so hopefully someone else will come along to help out.

Obviously if you could get a heater you would have loads more choice... is there any reason why your mum doesn't want one? It doesn't make the tank more difficult to look after or anything like that.

Plants is up to you really, I much prefer the look of live plants and like that it's a bit more natural for the fish, and they shouldn't cause you to have to do more water changes (you should be doing around a 25% water change every week anyway).

NaomiM likes this.
  3. EternalAngelxo

EternalAngelxo PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the reply! This was really educating and helpful. I'm actually on the fence about getting fish now - to be honest, I wanted fish because I wasn't allowed any other pets, but my parents are letting me have a mouse for my birthday if I pay for it myself. Which means I likely won't be getting the fish now. But if I do get them in the future (I do love fish) I'll keep it in mind!

Really, it was the cost of the heating my parents didn't like very much, as well as the electric costs. It would be too much money for them, which means really, I shouldn't get any fish, because I can't afford to care for them as they should be cared for.

4. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Ah, fair enough. Even without a heater, the filter has to be on all the time so that is always an ongoing cost.

Good luck with the mouse :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice