Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What expressions make you cringe?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by newfiesmum, Apr 16, 2011.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Is it just me, but when anyone says: "I want to pick your brains" I feel physically sick! I have a vision of someone opening my skull and going at it with a crochet hook!

2. "you get on my t**s" my mum says it all the time and I have some vision of the person clinging to her boobs.:eek:

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I dont have any expressions that annoy me but when people mispronounce things it winds me up, my mother in law would say pacific instead of specific and she also said senile demento instead of dementia, I used to have to grit my teeth not to shout the real pronounciation at her:eek:.

4. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

Not an expression but when people use WAS instead of WERE.

What WAS you doing?
    No no no!!! It's...
    What WERE you doing?

You WAS being silly WASN'T you?
    Arrrrrrrgh!!! It's...
    You WERE being silly WEREN'T you?

Seems like more and more people use was instead of were and it makes me want to scream lol :eek:

metame likes this.
  5. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

A few years ago we had a neighbour that would say "what an abortion", meaning what a bad job.I hated it and still do.:mad:

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Good thing you didn't live with my mother! Did you know there was a famous actress called Gina Lodgibridgy? And there is only one R in secretary, the second one. I used to work with a girl who kept telling me her little boy was distructful; I don't know how I kept my mouth shut!

I talk like that to the dogs! Why was you such a silly boy? Wouldn't do it to people, though.

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

The other one that irritates me is when people say, Come with, instead of come with me. Or bring it with.............I find myself waiting for the rest of the sentence.

8. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

Talking to your pets like that is ok, then it's just a form of baby talk in my eyes (and you should hear some of the things I say to my pets!!) but it has no place in daily conversations with people. I just think it makes people sound uneducated and common :confused:

9. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

"At the end of the day"...

"What I say is"...

"Blah Blah Blah"...

10. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I know what you mean. It is like when people say "he'll learn you to do it"; drives me nuts. I am also getting totally fed up with reading phrases like "fed up of......" instead of "fed up with" I see it all over the place now, on people's websites and everything. or I would of........ instead of I would have.

You have got me on to a real moaning session now!

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

"I won you" - in that case, perhaps they're going to take you back and sit you in their trophy cabinet, or on the mantel piece.

12. Bandy

Bandy Banned

That one literally makes the veins in my neck bulge....

13. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

How about....."will you borrow me your screwdriver please" ???? grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

14. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

lol One i hate....I should of, I could of.... I want to scream or correct it in written text.... HAVE not of!!!!

And "let me run this past you".... Do you mean " I would like your opinion"?

#14 northnsouth, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  15. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

My pet peeve has nothing to do with how people say things and more to do with how they write things. I also hate the use of things like 'I would of' rather than the correct form 'I would have.' Another peeve is the combining of words which should not be combined such as 'alot' or 'abit' instead of the correct form 'a lot' or 'a bit.'

However, the reason for this is because I am an examiner/teacher of English and I see it written incorrectly so often, it drives me up the wall. I am sick of verbally correcting and correcting the written form for the same people over and over again, but they just don't listen or learn from their mistakes.

Lack of paragraphs and only one punctuation mark (one full stop) at the end of a lengthy piece of writing winds me up as well.

Having said this, it doesn't actually take very much to wind me up as it is. :tongue_smilie:

16. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

"We're all in this together!"

Translation...
    "You lot are gonna get hammered...we get expenses"

17. northnsouth

My friend is an English teacher. It drives her mad having to correct .."txt spk" in her pupils written work. Although she says there are two minds on this subject. Some are of the opinion that it is just natural evolution of a language:confused:

Another one is business jargon.... These exercises are nothing to do with cost cutting! NO you jest me why have I spent days on a budget then!!

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im not too bothered by mistakes with grammar, mainly coz Im not convinced I get it right all the time!:eek:

"well, you'll just have to make time!"
    I hate that one..:mad: Im not God, how the flippin' heck do I do that?? Invent a time machine??:confused:

19. northnsouth

I don't mind 24/7 but 31 ????

20. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

"I could care less" is one that bothers me. So, you could actually care less than you do now? Which means you still care a little :blink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice