Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Vikegirl, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

As you might have gathered, we are excitedly waiting the arrival of Boo, our Mini Schnauzer puppy. I'm gathering together all the things I think we will need, but would appreciate more experienced people having a look to see if i've forgotten anything:

crate
    bed
    blanket (to go to breeder for addition of appropriate smells ;))
    squeaky toy
    soft toy
    teething toy
    food bowl
    water bowl
    collar
    lead (pink, hubby is singularly unimpressed:cool:)
    food-dry
    nibbly treats
    kong and kong stuffing things
    grooming stuff
    stairgate

I've still to buy the wormer and frontline

Rang vets and have booked her in for jabs and microchipping

Had quote from insurance and can activate as soon as she's home

Still to buy nappy sacks for walk poops and a raincoat.

Anything else I've forgotten? :confused:

Very excited!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think you have most of it covered.

Dont forget to buy whatever food the breeder has been using.

3. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

sounds like your all set. look forward to the photos.

4. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

You got it all covered, all you need now is food bowl and water bowl and Puppy pads.....on special in Asda's 14 for £2 which is good. I got a couple of packs yesturday. You wont be able to sleep the night before. Its like waiting for christmas is'nt it. send in some pic's so we can see her ok. xxxxxxxxx

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Sounds like you have everything covered you'll need some of what the breeder was feeding but apart from that you're good to go.

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

Oh yes you got bowls, i didnt see them, lololol xxxxxxxxxxx

7. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

What about newspaper to line the crate:idea:

8. Vikegirl

Yup, got food that the breeder is using, and don't think I'm going to use puppy pads.

Pics I can do, she's only 4 weeks in these:

Attached Files:

9. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I'd add Lactol puppy milk to that list. It's a formula powder that our puppy loved. It was great to warm and mix with a bit of baby rice as her bedtime snack. We'll never know but I think the warm puppy milk is what helped her sleep through the night from day 1. Pets At Home do it. Some say not to feed them just before bed but that's a personal choice.

If you can, please dont buy nappy sacks unless they are biodegradable. You can buy biodegradable pooh bags from pretty much any online pet shop.

You should start looking into puppy classes. They fill up very fast. Some have a waiting list.

I'd get a vetbed too, the fleecy bedding that helps them regulate their temperature and keep them nice and snug. The first night at your home could be the first time she hasn't had her siblings or Mum to keep her warm.

You could hold off on buying the wormer and flea stuff for a bit. It's a great excuse to take the puppy to the vet more often which is invaluable experience for them to learn the vet doesnt always mean pain. Like kids the more they are exposed to something they will not fear it.

You need a special toy. One that is only brought out under YOUR terms. Apparently it can help them establish your role as her boss! It doesn't get left with the puppy. You bring it out and play with it and when you're done you put it away.

Good luck. You must be VERY excited :D

10. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Harness? Although you won't need it yet but it saves pulling on the puppies neck. Name tag with your phone number and address on and if she's microchipped you can put that on too.

Some wellies.:D

11. Vikegirl

LOL at the wellies! Some good ideas there folks, thanks. Have ordered the ID tag, will get some puppy formula, and a harness too. Nappy sacks will be biodegradable. ;)

12. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Just bought our puppy a new harness from pets at home the other day, complete with matching collar and lead. She's outgrown her Puppia harness now.

13. Vikegirl

*cheekily* So, don't you need the puppy harness any more then? :smilewinkgrin:

14. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

heyyy :D

thats pretty much what ill be getting next year lol :)

can i ask , how much did that cost

15. Vikegirl

Erm.....:eek: well if you ask my hubby, he'll say about £50. ;)

I got the crate from a friend, then the rest was the result of a big Pets at Home shop and was about £90. Plus £15 for the stair gate. But I got three big bags of food as it was on special offer.

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

No her heads too big now. :laugh: You can have it if you want, it might as well be put to good use.:)

17. Vikegirl

Ooh, thank you! Will attempt to pm you.

18. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

great thanks :)

ive got all my prices planned out to an estimate ,and all the gear (basiclly the same as what youve got) then vaccinations which i rounded to about 40 pound then to worm i totalled about 140 pound.

19. xxwelshcrazyxx

Do you have a Budget Vets near you, the vaccines there are £15 each. and worming and flea stuff is cheaper too.
    Have a look in Ebay for a crate, I have sent you a link,, I have bought 6 from these people for my friends etc. they are ALOT cheaper and very strong and really good, and quick delivery.
    Item number: 110403667170 Check out these prices and compare them to store prices, you wont get cheaper. I have always recieved the crate with in a week, by their delivery courier. they are very good
    I used newpaper in the begining, but it seeps through to the flooring, so I always use puppy pads. I filled up hubby's sports sock with grains of rice, and tied a knot in the top, and put that into the microwave for 1 half mins and put that in witht the puppy, they love to cuddle into it too. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

20. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I think they sell a little doggy hot water bottle in pets at home because our puppy came with one and I know the lady that had her for a week before us went to pets at home and bought everything from there. We haven't used it yet though because she's been too warm anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice