Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what else can io give him...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lizzyboo, May 16, 2010.

1. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

to chew on that isnt a treat or a toy. by not a treat i mean those silly little things that are gone in two seconds, that is if he bothers to chew them :lol:

have seen the coloured bone things in pets at home, they look like they are made out of bird seed :lol: but obv arnt... what about rawhide bones.. i know alot of you dont like these but i am looking for something he can have while we are in the room and to show him that his new cushion in the front room is for laying on and chilling with a good chew, rather than tearing to pieces.

we love a good stuffed kong.... but he only gets one so often as i dont want him to get bored of that idea.

any help much appriciated :):)

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

A real bone ?

3. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

4. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

Nylabone was never a succes here.
    Up till now Cian likes these

[​IMG]

My other dogs never liked those.

Trial and error I should think

5. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

had a bad experience with a dog and a real bone once :eek::scared:

he has two nylabones... when he was tiny, he loved them but now he can take them or leave them

thanks... are they rawhide?

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I give mine rawhide chews but they NEVER get to chew them when I'm not around. Also I get rid of them when they're too small for the dog to have to hold it in its paws - and I don't like the ones with the knots on the ends, I give them the bone shaped ones from PAH.

Nylabones are good, but I made the mistake of getting the extra tough ones, thinking that they'd last longer. What actually happened was the dogs gave up chewing them at all.

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

A raw marrow bone would be excellent,but you say you had a bad experience,can i ask what happened? if you can get past that again,maybe you could try again.

8. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

when i lived at home my parents had a doberman. they gave him a raw meat bone as a treat one day and he got so possessive over it he wouldnt let us out of the kitchen. we were stuck in the kitchen till my dad came home, i think it was a couple a hours! he was sat right by the door and everytime we went near the door he tried to bite us, teeth out gums showing the lot! granted my pogus isnt a doberman, he is a westie but that incident scared the hell outta me.
    sadly kallen is no longer with us, now my mum readily admits that they had under trained him and not shown him who was boss enough... but still all these yrs on, it still scares me when i think about it.

9. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Thats not fuuny but:D:D:D:D:D

10. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I',m laughing so much I put two us instead of two ns:D:D

11. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Its not nice when you have a bad experience,even if it was a long time ago, however if you handle the situation right with your dog,theres no reason he cant have bones.If he has a crate,give him one in there.If your dog has good manners and listens to you,they should drop the bone and come to you when called.My lot are oblivious to the world when they are given their bones,once theyve munched away for a few hours,theyre happy to leave them and go back.If you have children,just make sure they dont try and interfere with your dog while hes eating (but thats the same for any food).
    May be worth a try,if youre not happy,dont get another.

12. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Frozen kong

I wouldn't give one of these without supervision. Heard of too many dogs choking on the final scraps.

13. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

i buy Raw Hide chews, I give them to my dogs when I am with them in the room, I wont leave them with it. Once they get too soggy I get a garden secatures and take the soggy bits off the end and away they go again chewing, when it gets too small I throw them away. I dont get the little ones for my chi's I think they are far to small, I always get the medium ones for them and the large ones for Collie and Shih Tzu.

14. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

We laugh now even though the thought of it happening with my own dog scares me pooless.....but i suppose a westie wont be half as threatening as a big fat doberman showing his gnashers to us all :D:D

15. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

thanks welshcrazy...... i wouldnt ever leave him with one of those, i might try him with one, might take your lead and buy the middle sized one x

16. hawksport

hawksport Banned

At least with a little westie he can only eat one of you while the others run for help

17. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

:D:D:lol::lol::D

18. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I would never give one of those to my dog I've heard to many bad things about them. A dog I use to know swallowed a small part of one, it got down into it intestines and the dog died.

19. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

a raw carrot;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice