Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What else can i do? (Long sorry!)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mumof3xxx, Aug 12, 2009.

1. mumof3xxx

mumof3xxx PetForums Newbie

Hi

I am after some advice regarding my 5yr old jack russell. He has been on wet food since he was a pup, then in December he suddenly started being quite unwell. He was vomiting and had blood in his stools. I took him to the vets straight away who gave him some jabs and antibiotics, said he had no blockages etc and should be ok after that. 6 weeks later, back to the vets with vomiting and blood in his stools again. Another couple of jabs, more antibiotics and advice from the vet to change his food. I do this and change to Iams dry food. All is ok for 8 weeks this time but then it all started again, i tried pro-kolin first and with-holding food for 24hrs but to no avail so back to the vets again...normal vet is on holiday so have to see a locum, she gives some peptic stuff for the gut and some zitac and sends me away with some Royal Canin sensitive. He has again been ok for 1 and a half weeks and then yesterday he started again with not eating...no sickness or diarrhoea just yet but im sure it will come. I just dont know what else to do, the vet doesnt seem to want to know. I am tempted to try a different vet but dont know if my insurance will pay out for that.
    Any ideas??

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

A dog (or person or any species) can become intolerant to food at any time in its life. One thing is that as we get older, our bodies don't produce the enzymes for digestion so well. An inflamation in the gut that allows any food to pass through the gut wall into the blood stream can trigger allergies too (leaky gut).
    It could be any ingredient in the food, or more than one of them. The commonest triggers are wheat, dairy, corn, soya, poultry - but it could be anything. Try the most basic white fish and rice food, this is often best tolerated. Burns or JWB make suitable ones, or you can cook it up yourself.
    The herb slippery elm can help. It's a powder that produces a mucous-like coating that soothes the gut wall, you can buy it in health food shops either loose or in capsules (open up and sprinkle onto food). Don't get the slippery elm food made as a drink like ovaltine or complan, it has wheat in. A quarter teaspoon of the powder per meal should be right for a jack russell. It can't do any harm.
    You will have to experiment to see what works for your dog. It can be a long haul, and new intolerances can crop up any time, but you can control it, and I don't know that any dog has ever died from it.
    Also, try giving probiotics - either human ones in capsules from health shops (not actimel type as dairy), or dog ones such as Protexin. Live goats milk yogurt can help too.

4. rona

rona Guest

#4 rona, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  5. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I've had a dog with colitis but there was never any vomiting with her nor with any other dog I've know that had it. If it is colitis for me the only foods that helped Ailsa were Burns and Robbies, Robbies is made by John Burns's brother and is a good quality food. You really need to find out what your wee lad is intolerant to before you can make any decisions. If it's cereals that he has a problem with you could try him on Orijen which has no cereals in it at all.

Terri

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive used slippery elm with great success. I used the Dorwest Herbs Tree Barks Powder, which is mainly slippery elm.
    I did wonder what you were on about in that thread.

7. rona

rona Guest

[/QUOTE] I did wonder what you were on about in that thread.[/QUOTE]

I was confused and in a hurry :blushing::blushing:

8. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

My dog also has colitis he was not able to digest certain proteins in some dry foods he is now on Hills D/D wet and dry as this is the only one ( after trying many ) that suits him. As he had been on many anti Bs I put some Protect on his nightime meal it works a bit like yogurt.

9. rona

rona Guest

I've never heard of vomiting with colitis

10. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

It's not the norm to vomit with colitis but if the stomach gets full of gases this can happen. Most times a dog with colitis eats a bit of food then walks away because they get a pain in their tum so this might be the bit they bring back.

11. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Take careful note of everything that he is eating, it may not be his food but one of his treats that could be upsetting his tum. Months ago I asked for dietry advice as Arnie had colitis on a regular basis, on the advice given his food was changed to Arden Grange with Nature Diet mixed in. His coat is beautifully glossy and we have never looked back. But as I said it could be a treat that is upsetting him not his food.

12. mumof3xxx

mumof3xxx PetForums Newbie

He doesnt have any treats, we could these out in case they were causing a problem. When he does vomit he does it for 1-2 days but doesnt eat so not sure whether it could be colitis. The vet did mention IBD but has only just started to do something in that i have got to get a stool sample. See what happens then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice