Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What dry food is best for my Sphynx cat, sold in the UK

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Poppy Bowen-Green, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Poppy Bowen-Green

Poppy Bowen-Green PetForums Newbie

Hi, I’m new to this forum and signed up because I’m desperate for advice on my Sphynx cat. I have had Duke for 4 years now, and initially he never had any digestion problems. However I have battled for the last 2 years with his bowel problems and I just cannot find a food that suits him. I feel like I have tried everything and desperate for some advice! Since these problems I’ve tried all sorts of grain free, potato free options, I even tried Raw but he just won’t eat it. I thought I had cracked it when I moved him onto Royal Canine digestive care, but about 6 months down the line his diarrhoea started again if anyone had a Sphynx that has gone through the same problems please help me out!

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

There is no dry food that is good for your cat. All dry foods are bad for cats. They are high in carbs, dehydrating and highly processed.

He CAN be transitioned to a wet or raw diet. It just may take a lot of time and effort and patience on your part.

Here are some sites for you to check out.

www.catinfo.org

http://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/

A cat who has never eaten anything but dry will not recognize wet or raw as food. So they have to learn to associate it with eating. My favorite method for transitioning a cat:

First, your cat needs to be eating scheduled meals not free feeding. So if you aren't already feeding meals, you will need to work on that. Once your cat is eating three or four meals a day:

Put a tiny dollop of canned food (or raw) in the dish next to the dry food. Don't do anything else. Just at each meal put that tiny bit of wet food in a separate dish.

He needs to learn to recognize wet food as food. Many dry fed cats just don't.

If he doesn't start eating it after a few days, you might crush a few kibbles and roll the blob of wet in the crushed kibble dust. That may hurry things along. Do this at each meal until he starts eating that tiny bit of wet. He will, in time.

Once he starts eating it, make the wet portion bigger, and the dry portion smaller. Don't rush, or make it too big all at once. Go slow.

Gradually over the weeks there will be more wet than dry being fed at each meal. Then will come the day when there is no dry, except some crushed to dust over the wet. At that point I would get rid of the kibble all together and start using other incentives,such as freeze dried pure proteins.

I also recommend getting a baby scale and weighing him weekly to ensure he is eating enough.

If you do go to raw feeding (I recommend if over processed food, even wet) you will need a food scale as well.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

By the way @Poppy Bowen-Green the Raw Feeding for IBD site also has a FB page filled with people who have been exactly where you are today, with many successes. There are some very experienced knowledgeable people there to help you transition your precious boy and to answer any question you may have about his digestive and bowel problems.

If you aren't on facebook it may be worth your while to open an account simply so you can access the help this site can offer you and your beautiful boy. It's a closed group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RawFedIBD/

stockwellcat. likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice