Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what dry dog food is best?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by codyann, Apr 16, 2011.

1. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

my mums shitzu is on iams pro active dry dog food and she aint to keen on it i was wondering what people on here would reccomend?
    she seems to be really fussy :(
    thanks

2. louise5031

louise5031 Guest

I get Skinners from my local pet shop. Zach does very well on the Salmon and Rice (he has a very sensitive stomach) and it's much cheaper than some of the other hypoallergenic foods.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

There's no one ''the best'' dog food, what suits one dog may not suit another.

The two brands I use, and therefore can recommend are James Wellbeloved and Orijen. I have 3 on JWB and the other 2 have Orijen. I feed them 50/50 with BARF. Both are good foods and my dogs do very well on them.

Other good quality foods to look out for would be Burns (expensive for alot of rice though), Skinners duck/salmon, Arden Grange, Wainwrights, PAH Advance, Fish4Dogs, Acana and Barking Heads, to name a few. They've all got a decent meat content and don't contain alot of junk.

What I'd do is choose a food that the dog likes and has eaten before, put it in the dogs bowl and put it on the floor. If the dog hasn't eaten in fifteen minutes, take the bowl away and offer nothing (no treats or scraps) until the next meal time, and then present the bowl again, and keep repeating! It may take a few days but a dog won't starve itself, they try to hold out for as long as possible because they know we normally give in first and give them something else. The dog will soon learn to eat what she is given, when she is given it - a case of tough love!

Good luck!

4. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Don't change foods because she's fussy. You'll make a rod for your own back and end up spending £££ on wasted dog food.

That said, I'd not feed IAMS, because it's a bad food. Change to a decent food, put it down, if it's not eaten after 15 mins, pick it up and don't feed anything until next meal time - nothing at all. No treats, scraps, nothing. Then do the same next meal time.

The dog won't starve itself.

My dog started being fussy about 6 months, the vet recommended doing the above. The dog missed three meals and has never done it since. Eats whatever I put down.

Sixstar has mentioned some good foods. I'll just add Simpsons to that list.

Rule of thumb is, if you can but it in a supermarket - it's crap.

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

The one exception (that I know of) would be Vets Kitchen from Asda & Sainsburys. That's a decent enough food.

But yes on the whole I agree with your line of thought.

6. bagpuss4

bagpuss4 PetForums Member

Baxter has done well on vitalin i,m in the process of moving to arden grange adult.

7. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

the thing is we have recently changed her from wet food to dry food (iams) and she dont seem to like that, she isnt normally fussy but ill pass all them on to my mum thanks :D

8. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

yeah ive had to do that with my dog she goes through stages of not eating its a bit weird but it seems norm for her, after about 2 missed meals shes fine and back on track lol

9. FRAZ

FRAZ PetForums Member

Hi there. For really fussy eater we suggest you try Barking Heads Fusspot, salmon and potato. We have had great success with customers of fussy eaters. The proof being they stick with it and have the added benefit of it being a sensitive diet also.
    Barking Heads use quality ingredients and their foods are reasonably priced.

Cheers Fraz.

10. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

Domino was a fussy eater and lost so much weight because he refused to eat we even cooked meals for him. He now eats Arden Grange Adult mini bites and loves them he has put on weight and his condition is much better.

Val xx

11. bigdogworld

bigdogworld PetForums Member

Absolutely agree.

We've had great feedback about Barking Heads Fusspot from owners of fussy dogs. Barking Heads use excellent quality ingredients at good value prices - definitely worth a try.

Neil :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice