Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What driving licence do you have?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, May 25, 2010.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I still have one of the old green paper ones.:D
    I don't know how many of you have checked yours lately for the expirey date but some of the ones with your photo on only last 10 years.I believe it applies if you have changed your address or any other details.Worth having a look though.:D

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Full pink photocard one... however have lost my counterpart for it.

3. TobyK9

TobyK9 Banned

Yeah I need to get a new one, my paper bit has loads of weird codes written on it like 'DR10' and stuff, damn dvla and their mindless graffiti LOL :D

4. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

Mine says 'requalified after some pointless red tape and an imbocile of a boss'

5. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

i have the pink on e:D

its been almost 5 years since i got it too :lol:

6. rona

rona Guest

Same as you Jan. We can legally drive all sorts of vehicles that we have never driven before.

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Mine is very old too and it has the wrong date of birth, making me a year older than I am, at the time I thought it would be a clever way to get ID into clubs etc...I was 17. :eek:

8. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

I just had to renew my photo one after 10 years.

Had to send new photo because your face changes in 10 years.

They charge £20 for it :mad: £20 just to show your wrinkles :eek:

9. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

You may want to find it or get a replacement.If you get caught being naughty behind the wheel ;) and incure points you will have to produce your documents (including the counterpart) at the police station.

10. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Wow really, I had no idea that was of use. I have no idea where mine is. I lose thing very easily. I need to stop moving house. :D

11. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

I only know this as my wife got caught jumping a red light last week.
    The light was actually amber at the time but that was good enough for Mr.plod. :mad:
    It was only after consulting a solicitor that she found out it's illegal to jump an amber light.:confused::

12. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I did not know that either. I jump them all the time, well not all the time but if I feel I am going to have a car run up my bumper I go through them. May have to stop that too. Driving is no fun anymore.

13. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

The expiry date on the front of the new photocards is for the photograph, not the licence, and you should be sent a reminder every ten years, as someone else has already posted.

The DVLA have gone to B&W photos, which are slightly more flattering, at least in my instance......

One thing I am wary of when sending it in to get any details changed, is that I know where people have had entitlements to drive certain vehicles removed, and the DVLA hadn't accepted responsibility, and just informed the person they would have to take their test again for that particular vehicle. If you look on the back of the photocards, it shows against the vehicle types, when your entitlement to drive them actually expires.

14. rona

rona Guest

Rules for certain vehicles are changing all the time, this is probably why they are taking them off.
    I can drive a 71/2 tonne lorry on mine, but I think for the new ones you have to take a test

15. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Nah, it was a friend who changed for the new licence, had his full motorcycle entitlement taken off, even though he'd passed his test many years ago, and had been riding bikes for ages. I'm not bothered about the trucks and other stuff on mine, I just don't want to have to take my bike test again. The DVLA were incredibly unhelpful, and just told him he'd have to retake his test to get it put back on his card :rolleyes:

16. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Oh. Well I haven't had it for a while. I passed my test last April and had it all in a little clar file to carry around with me before I got my license, and then went and lost it.

Don't really want to pay the £20 to get a new one though tbh. It's my only form of ID.

17. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

You can go through on a flashing amber if the way is clear but you must never go on a steady amber.

Mine is a photocard one and needs renewing in ten years. Friend is doing their HGV license so she can drive herself and her horses to shows but you do have to do completely different tests now and I think she has to do X amount of driving in an HGV before she can even take her test.

18. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I've got a photocard...with counterpart. Passed my test in Nov 2002.

Also got my C1 category....had to for work.

Think the law changed in 1997 or something like that, so you could only drive up to 3 tonnes on a normal licence and had to do extra tests for other things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice