Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Dog Should I Adopt if I already have a Rabbits

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Altaf, Nov 25, 2021 at 7:06 AM.

?

Which dog breed is compatible with rabbits?

1. Cocker Spaniel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yorkie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cavapoochon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Altaf

Altaf PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

I am considering getting a small dog, maybe a Cocker Spaniel, Yorkie, or Cavapoochon. But I am a bit confused. I already have a pair of Lilac rabbits and I was wondering if they'll be okay with a dog. Any ideas?

Thank you

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I can’t imagine that Rabbits (being a prey animal) would be happy living with any dog whatever the breed.

It would be a very stressful life for them.

Probably your poll should include ‘no dog’.

lorilu, Lurcherlad, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm inclined to agree, unless the rabbits are securely housed so the dog doesn't get any opportunity to harass them.

And 'cavapoochon' isn't a breed.

lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Are your rabbits kept indoors and outdoors ? It depends on the individual animals you might be better off with a puppy so you can train him to ignore the rabbits as he grows. .perhaps a cavalier spaniel .
    Ive kept rabbits and guinea pigs and dogs and cats altogether. The dogs Ive adopted , were checked to see if they were ok with small furries but you do have to be very careful in your choice. I used a clicker with the adopted to reinforce them to look away .

#4 kimthecat, Nov 25, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 12:07 PM
  5. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

It will depend on the rabbits, their housing, and your ability to train the dog.

Terriers are the least likely to be small animal friendly, but still not impossible. I know someone with free range house rabbits plus two Jack Russells who think they are also rabbits.

Have you had dogs before? Have you trained dogs from the start? This is the key. There's also a chance that no matter how well trained a dog is, they are still reactive to small fluffies. Every dog is an individual. My first pair of rescue rabbits were surrendered at 4 years old as the new dog in the home just wouldn't leave them alone, they had a lifelong fear of hearing dogs play growl (I have no dogs, but the neighbours did).

Also, yes, Cavapoochon isn't a breed and is generally only bred by puppy farmers and greeders, with no interest in the health of the puppies nor the welfare of the parents they've bred from.

lorilu and kimthecat like this.
  6. Altaf

Altaf PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for the suggestions.

@Linda Weasel: You are right about (being a prey animal), that is why I am looking for a smaller breed.

@simplysardonic: A friend suggested this breed as it doesn't grow much. I have just Googled it and it is there, you may check it

@kimthecat: My rabbits are kept secured outdoors in a specially built space for them. Cavalier Spaniel is a good idea.

7. Altaf

Altaf PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the detailed reply. Yes, I have been dealing with dogs since my childhood. We had a German Shepherd when I was 7 and then a Cocker Spaniel later. Let's wait for some other expert opinions, especially from those who have kept Dogs and Rabbits together. I am also open for getting other pet animal than dog, like a cat.

8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Cats are also predators and more than capable of harming a rabbit.

Plenty of people keep all sorts of different animals as pets at the same time. Keeping them separate is pretty key - there's usually no need at all for something like a rabbit to interact directly with a dog or a cat. Keep everyone secure and be realistic about what you can manage and provide for both

* cavapoochons are a cross between three different breeds and as such can vary hugely in personality. They aren't a breed themselves.

simplysardonic and kimthecat like this.
  9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

A gundog. a ratter, and a mongrel, I wouldn't I have any of them anywhere near a rabbit and to be honest, I wouldn't risk any breed with rabbits and I don't think it would be fair on the rabbits.

lorilu likes this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm no expert on rabbits but my daughter has a house rabbit and I would never risk taking my dogs there. Rabbits can die of fright!:(

11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Yes you need to be careful. They produce too much adrenaline. There's always ftightening things like fireworks , thunderstorms , foxes
    But it does depend on the animals themselves. My lovely Fred rabbit and Judy . at the bridge now. :)

#11 kimthecat, Nov 25, 2021 at 3:19 PM
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    SusieRainbow likes this.
  12. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Fred bunny and Judy

upload_2021-11-25_15-26-13.png

Ginnie and Sabrina

Ginnie and Sabrina.jpg

#12 kimthecat, Nov 25, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 3:54 PM
  13. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

You know what your dogs are like so thats the best thing to do.

lullabydream and SusieRainbow like this.
  14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the dogs would be more scared of the rabbit, she's a big feisty Lionhead! But not worth the risk.

lullabydream and kimthecat like this.
  15. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:Hilarious Rabibts can be feisty , that actually can attack you and have a nasty bite,

16. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I had a rabbit as a child and the family cat and the bun would take it in turns to chase each other round the garden. It was funny to watch them

lullabydream and kimthecat like this.
  17. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would never trust them alone together, I had pet rabbits and G-Pigs growing up and whilst they were fine with our cats and dog, the neighbours dog killed one of my bunnies and his GP friend, and one of my current dogs a Cavalier x Bichon has killed several wild bunnies, he is sweet and lovely and an absolute doofus but he is a bunny murderer.

lullabydream likes this.
  18. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I had 2 guinea pigs as a child, they were both killed on seperate occasions by dogs. Our own dogs showed no interest , they were killed by visiting dogs very, very quickly. Of course I was heartbroken and after losing the second one would not have any more.

lullabydream likes this.
  19. Lyracollie

Lyracollie Crazy hamster lady

Think you'll find that a lot of smaller breeds are bred for going down rabbit holes. :oops:
    A lot of households have prey animals coexisting with dogs/cats without any problems but you would have to be willing to keep them separated, especially when unsupervised as even with a well trained dog it's just an accident waiting to happen.

I have 5 rats at the moment, along with 2 dogs and 2 cats and haven't had any issues but the rats are obviously never allowed out when one of the other animals are around.

Edited as I just saw they were housed outdoors, if they're secure and you supervise the dog around them then they shouldn't really be able to come into contact with each other surely?

lullabydream, kimthecat and BlueJay like this.
  20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I walked 2 spaniels ( a working cocker and a sprocker) for someone who also had 2 house rabbits. One day when I went to pick the dogs up, the rabbits had escaped from their cages - an arrangement of 2 big cages pushed together so the rabbits could be together or apart through a door between them. The cages had been pushed apart so there was a gap between the 2 doors into the room. The dogs were bemused, but the rabbits unharmed. A lucky escape for them. If either dog had gone into prey mode, it would have been a bloodbath.

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice