Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What dog gender is best with female rabbits?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Aspen+Ember, Oct 27, 2020.

?

What dog/puppy gender would have more chance of bonding with 2 female rabbits?

1. Male

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Female

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aspen+Ember

Aspen+Ember PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone
    Rescued 2 mixed breed rabbits a couple of years ago now after my first one passed away. They are both girls from the same litter that they didn’t seem to want to separate after 18 months at the rescue together.
    My mum is now getting a Labrador retriever after 6 years of wanting one and my question is...

Does anyone know if a female or male dog would be best with 2 female rabbits?

We are very aware of all the risks involved which is why she has never bought one before. They will never be unsupervised and they both will have their own spaces in our home as the rabbits have their own room even though they are free roam half the time so even if at worst they won’t get along or I think it stresses them out they with both get their own time to roam and be around us. Also I will be moving out in a year or so and taking the rabbits with me.
    But I would really love if they had some kind of bond and enjoyed being around each other and I really don’t want them to be stressed. The rabbits are used to dogs in the house as we pet sit part time but they have rarely been in close contact with them. Although in their previous rescue home there was a dog they got along with freely.

any advice on gender would be greatly appreciated and welcome any other advice from people who have bonded animals before so that we don’t miss any important tips and tricks would be great
    Thank you! Xx

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Its less about gender and more about temperament and training.

Aspen+Ember likes this.
  3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Breed is a way more important consideration. You dont want a dog with a high prey drive, so best to avoid the likes of terriers for a start.

Aspen+Ember likes this.
  4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

As has been said, gender won’t make a difference. What I would do is ask the breeder about the parent dogs temperament and prey drive. If they are laid back and don’t have much of a prey drive then the puppies are likely to be similar and may have less interest in the bunnies.
    Once you bring the dog home it is really all down to training the dog to ignore your rabbits and be calm around them

Aspen+Ember and ForestWomble like this.
  5. Corneal

Corneal Shelly

Also puppies and un neutered dogs can be super hyper and more likely to chase small moving critters. So maybe an older/adult rescue dog would be better

Aspen+Ember likes this.
  6. Aspen+Ember

Aspen+Ember PetForums Newbie

Brilliant thanks for your help guys. I know within certain animals like rabbits the male/female ratio or bonding can be important and wasn’t sure if I dog would have the same effect on the rabbits. It will be a red Labrador, like I say it’s my mums choice for when I move out but luckily I have heard good things about labs with rabbits in the right circumstances I’m sure. Both parents are breeding dogs not working dogs and the mum I know is quite a softy. The male and female pup we are torn between are the most relaxed and calm in the litter also. We have a lot of experience with dogs as we have always dog sat and walked so just fingers crossed the training goes well. thanks again

Teddy-dog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice