Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What dog foods do you use

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jojo75, May 15, 2010.

1. jojo75

jojo75 PetForums Newbie

Hiya,

I am now totally confused about dog food.
    We are due to collect our pup in two weekends time. We are starting to prepare, Today was food.
    Now the breeder feeds James Wellbeloved puppy mixed with Butchers tinned 4times a day. She has requested that we carry this on.

However after looking into different types and brands of food I am unsure.
    I want to use a food that is free from any nasties like artificual additives etc.
    and the brands i can find are James Wellbeloved and Versele-Laga.
    Both in Lamb and Rice

We have been told to stear clear of Beef and Chicken as these contain too much protein??????? This is where i am lost.

We used to feed our last dog everything, (Which I know is not right) and I am totally confused... Sorry for the Looong post but just want some help.

Thank you for reading.

Jo

2. cgdrum

cgdrum PetForums Junior

Whatever you change to change over slowly - a quick change of food can cause all sorts of stomach upsets. We changed food by doing an a few days of 75% old food:25% new, then 50:50 for a few days, then 25% old:75% new for a few days before finally going on to 100% new.

I would say that initailly you shouldn't change your new pups food though - it will have enough stress to cope with with with leaving it's mum and litter mates.

We used proplan lamb and rice with either raw chicken or lamb (as the breeder had done). As long as your puppy is settled on it it shouldn't be a problem what meat you use, although I think pork and beef can cause a dog with a sensitive digestion system to have a very upset stomach.

Bet you can't wait to get your new addition! Look forward to seeing some pics!:)

3. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

There's loads of foods that are free of nasties. Look for something hypo-allergenic. Off the top of my head I'd say Orijen (best kibble you can buy, no fillers or crap at all, but a nice price tag to match) Skinners, Arden Grange, Fish4Dogs, weinwrights (pets at homes own brand). Burns mini bites is often recommended on here, but it seems pricey to me, considering it's 60% rice. I'm also not a fan of James Wellbeloved since it was taken over by the company who makes pedigree, bakers etc. But there are those who swear by it. It's all about finding the food that suits your dog.

As for wet food, there's weinwrights, naturediet, natures manu, natures harvest, burns, arden grange. These are much better than butchers.

I'd agree with the breeder to keep the puppy on the food it's on for a few weeks while it settles in, then gradually change over to whatever food you've decided to put your pup on.

No idea where the beef and chicken containing too much protein comes from, seems like a pile of crap to me, especially considering the majority of dry food is chicken based.

#3 Lyceum, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  4. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

james wellbeloved is a pretty good food so if it suits the dog, id maybe be inclined to stick to it.

but as have already been said, Arden Grange, Burns, Orijen are another couple of really good ones.

some dogs have intolerances to chicken, but on the most part they are usually ok. beef is something i tend to avoid with dogs to be honest, and you will find that not many of the good dog food manufacturers actually use it in their foods. chicken, lamb or fish tend to be the best things to go with.

good luck with your pup when it arrives, hope to see pics.

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I use whites premium and raw food.

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We chanded Holly from Pedigree dry, to Skinners dry =] We do give her a meal of butchers puppy tins if she hasn't eaten for 4 days or so. She's a stubborn little pup!

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

8. chestersmum

chestersmum PetForums Senior

I use barking heads dry and wainwrights wet food. Plus a bit of raw once/twice a week

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Mine has skinners salmon and rice, raw bones and chicken wings:thumbup:

10. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Blade came to us on tripe and pedigree complete puppy food! We fed this as the breeder had but then weaned him over to Royal canin babydog as i felt it would be better for him as he was never 'solid' on the other. He is loving the RC and is solid and going to the toilet less times making toilet training easier too!

I think i would stick with James well beloved to be honest as it is a very good super premium food and is meat based not cereal based too. (unlike pedigree!)

Photos pleeeeeeeease!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

11. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

My 2 have thrived on james wellbeloved...and I mix with a very small amount of weinwrights wet...but take out a small amount of their daily alowence of dry so's not to overfeed them, the good thing is that both have loads of different flavours so they don't get bored of it.
    P@H have got 3 for 2 on jwb at the mo too so if you want to try diferent flavours it's a cheaper way of doing it...I got it for top up this week because it ment I got one puppy, one jr( trying penny on it now) and one senior...suits both pooches
    Clare xx

12. Kelly2774

Kelly2774 PetForums Member

I feed Kyle (alsatian/collie cross), Roxy (yellow lab), & Mya (ESS) on Gusto's Adult Complete its £6.70 out of tescos for a 10kg bag so i pick up 2 bags at a time.

I feed Skye (whippet) on Cuisine tinned meat with cuisine mixer. I buy it from p@h

I feed Angel (staffie) on Wagg Puppy Complete at the moment as she's only 19 weeks old. But she'll be switched onto Gusto's Adult once she's old enough

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice