Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What dog food do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sammy1, Apr 7, 2008.

1. sammy1

sammy1 PetForums Junior

Hi,

I have always feed my dogs pedigree chum dry and tin food ,but the last few days i have been reading its not that good.
    I want to now introduce a different food ,but i don`t know which one.

Also my 3 puppies got a taste of mum and dads food about 4 days ago and will not now eat their own and want mum and dads all the time which is pedigree chum small dog (dry food).
    I know its not good for them they are now 16 weeks old.

2. karen

karen PetForums Junior

Burns food seems to be a very balanced complete. It works on low protien and high complex carbs. No rubbish too which is a bonus.

3. minnie

minnie PetForums VIP

yeah burns is good if you can get your dog to eat it:)

4. karen

karen PetForums Junior

Adding mashed veg can help with that. Or fresh stock.

5. minnie

minnie PetForums VIP

ours like a bit of gravy with it

6. AJ

AJ Guest

In my opinion....

Orijen is the best dry commercial dog food available in the UK

Its 70% meat and 30% fruit and veg, no artifical preservatives. It contains no cereals/grains and a low percentage of carbs.

We feed our dogs a natural raw diet which is something else you might want to consider.

Our cats are fed mainly raw with Orijen dried cat food. I wouldn't feed them anything else. :)

7. minnie

minnie PetForums VIP

ooh i'll have to get some of that! looks good

8. Tory01

Tory01 PetForums Senior

That food does look good,But I am thinking on going on raw food for my dogs,As a lot of people on this forum seem to like it.

Jo P likes this.
  9. Bushpig

Bushpig PetForums Newbie

I feed my labrador on Hills - expensive but one of the premier ranges, it does have a high oil % (14% I think) which is good for his coat you just need to watch out you dont give as much as the manufacturers recommend which is a con anyway.

I'm actually looking at making some meals from scratch, raw veg, meat but need to ideas on that one.:)

10. AJ

AJ Guest

If you want any tips or info drop me a PM, can also send you some links to some good websites! :)

11. Tory01

Tory01 PetForums Senior

Thanks I will....

12. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I feed Arden Grange and James Welbeloved Lamb and Veg - both are very good foods :)

13. Paula C

Paula C PetForums Senior

I have tried feeding my cocker spaniel all sorts of diff food some of the most expensive ones and she is not interested. I put it down and she just sniffs n leaves it only eating it when hunger gets the better of her.

We tried all kinds of diff ones and she seems to love these Webbox chubbs things with some mixer but I'm not convinced that its any good for her. My other half jokes that he reckons they must the dog food equivilent of junk food cos she seems to wolf it down the minute its in front of her.

anyone know if this stuff really is bad and I should stop giving it to her?? I would hate to think I was feeding her complete rubbish!!

14. AJ

AJ Guest

Never heard of it and can't even find it on google to have a look at the ingredients!

15. Paula C

Paula C PetForums Senior

The ingredients dont seem to figure much meat which worries me but then most dog foods dont seem to when u look! U can get them in all the supermarkets, they seem to be quite widely available. Thanks for having a look for me though! :D

16. AJ

AJ Guest

If you can find a list of ingredients on the web I'll have a look for you! :)

17. Tory01

Tory01 PetForums Senior

I have seen this food and sorry to say its not realy any good.if you have seen when you open it a load of water comes out.I got some when i had a pet shop years ago,and i tried some thing ,cut a small bit and heat it up in a pan!!!then see if you will feed it to your dog..???:eek:

18. EllenJay

EllenJay PetForums Member

We have just ordered 'Orijen' for our dog. I'm hoping she will like it and that it will help with her allergies being just good stuff.

Isn't the Webbox very similar to the 'dog brawn' that pet shops used to sell many moons ago?

19. AJ

AJ Guest

I think the wording "Rabbit FLAVOUR" says it all!

20. Paula C

Paula C PetForums Senior

I can find the stuff on google but not a list of ingredients. I think I know deep down its not good stuff just by looking at it.

Should maybe try a good dryfood as the puppy is on eukanuba dry puppy food and I've caught her in the cage a few times polishing off what shes left lol! so she must like it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice