Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What does your vet think of raw??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by toffee44, Jan 10, 2012.

1. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

So other than my normal vet who supports raw although he feels they should have some whole grain every now and again no vets I have met recently agree with raw feeding.

I had a lecture from the vet who saw Teal.

And today we used my OH parents vet for castration (as cheaper than my vet) and they said I shouldnt feed Buster raw because he is a purebreed!!! I just noted he has put on 6kg with me (although still skinny) but she said that she doesnt agree with it as there is no evidence behind it.

So on the verge if I see any other vet/ vet nurse I am just gonna say Bakers :p Ok joking but might just say Arden Grange or Fish4Dogs now.

What does your vet think/say to you.

2. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

My usual vet isnt a fan, all the staff spent a long time trying to get me to buy blimming Hills, but I think they learnt they are wasting their time, lol!:p

3. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Mine supports it..

Although I dont feed mine raw I did talk to him about it and he was quite positive did point me in the direction of some information said it wasnt for everyone but if I wanted to give it a go then fine...

I didnt pursue it a lack of suppliers and Benny wont touch it.. But the support was there if I wanted it

4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

My vets know.. pull faces but do not comment.

I do know it's a growing trend, probably more here (Germany) than in the UK. Recently saw an article in a german dogs magazine of a market van specializing in food for dogs with the article title "Yummy". This article sandwiched of course between pet food advertisements. First time I've seen a dog magazne have an article about raw, and not negative at all.

5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

My vet does not like it all ....and virtually blamed me for causing Ozzy's problems early on because of feeding him raw :eek: ...he died

so, now i will not feed any of mine this way :nonod:..because the doubt is there now in my mind :( what if????

6. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

#6 Goblin, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  7. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

my vets know and have warned me against the dangers i.e. bones etc but they know I still feed it and always comment on how good all my dogs teeth are

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

It turned out to be his liver and kidneys ..to us it was probably more likely from when he was born, as it is in the breed.....but because it took a long time to diagnose as he was not showing the usual symptoms etc.....i was told by feeding him raw he was not getting all the nutrients he needed blah blah...then they try and push Royal canin...

9. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss and for letting us know. In a situation like that I guess we'll never know unfortunately.

10. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

I don't think I've ever told my vet I feed raw, he hasn't asked so I haven't told him.

Last time I went into the vets he told me that Cooper looked fantastic and was in fabulous condition, so it's obviously not detrimental to his health.

11. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

i only give raw treats rather than feed them completely but there's a bloke with 2 dobbies at the common ans he feeds the evening meal as just chicken wings (not sure what he feeds in the morning) and his dogs have the shiniest looking teeth out there :eek: he got me into starting to give raw treats and Trouble loves it!! wouldn't dare tell the vets, i get the impression that unless their patients are eating Hills (they get commissions from selling it there i guess) ten you probably aren't looking after them properly :001_huh:

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

My first vet was the one who persuaded me to make the move to raw; she was very knowledgeable about nutrition - rare I know!

I have only been to our new vet once and, although he said Kilo was in fantastic condition, he didn't ask what I fed. So I didn't tell him....I do know that the waiting room is packed with Hills products and that one of the vets in the practice is married to the area's Hills rep. So I can probably guess what the view of raw feeding will be!!

13. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

PMSL! Dare you! They'd probably be like 'Oh yeah, great choice' ! :eek:

My vet just looked bemused and was off on another topic as soon as poss! They (mostly) know sweet FA about nutrition, so no point in trying to persuade them and the waiting room is full of Hills. :mad:

14. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

mine just said "ah, another one of those are you" !!??

They don't mind it though as one of the older vets in the practice (recently retired) he positively endorsed raw and they have a separate outbuilding where you can buy barf stuff

15. suesdogs15

suesdogs15 PetForums Member

Last time I went to mine with the cat !!! he asked all about it , he had been to a talk and he said " they get better fed than him, all he had for his tea was pizza " and was very supportive which made me feel happy that if I had a problem he wouldn't just blame the" Raw feeding". I even left and forgot to pay for the cats treatment , got a bill today:hand:

16. Kat28

Kat28 PetForums VIP

When I mentioned possibly feeding my bulldog raw my vet told me it would cause her to get food poisoning and very likely kill her. Needless to say he scared the life out of me with that and she stayed on dry/wet mix

17. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

A vet we used to see told me that I was slowly killing my dog feeding raw too and how did I know the source of the meat, then suggested whatever they stock. Needless to say, I moved practices

18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

There's a few vets at the practise I go to & they have both been fine with it. On our last visit the vet complimented them both on their lovely teeth & asked if they were raw fed.

19. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I haven't discussed it with him but I would hazard a guess that he would only be happy with the particular brands he sells at inflated prices, so he would be dead set against raw.

20. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

When Tummel got ill i told the vet it was due to him swallowing a large piece of spine....she said it happens but it shouldn't put me off too much as raw bones are so much safer than cooked ones. She then went on to slag off hills/royal canin/iams and told me to give him chappie and rice until his antibiotics were done :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice