UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Still missing my boys
42,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That you haven't actually taught it?

I used to get fed up with gob covered tennis balls at the end of a walk, so one day a long time ago I asked Alfie to just drop it into a poo bag rather than me take it from him.
Although he misses the bag on odd occasions, he's done it ever since :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
She moves to the other side of the bed when I turn the light off. When we go to bed I usually read a book or bring my lap top to watch a movie or to check out PF and other forums. She then lies on my side of the bed by my feet , preferably really close. But when I turn the light out she immidiately moves over to the empty side of the bed.

I haven't taught her and I don't really know why she moves, especially since she during the night sprawls out all over the bed and still manages to have at least half the body on my side :D

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
Molly picks up her ball if I say to her 'where's your ballie' (ball doesn't do it!) and the same if I ask her to 'find her kong'.

She also goes in her crate with her stag bar and we've not properly taught it. We do put all her kongs or stag bars in there for her collect when she's allowed them but that's about all we do.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
She does a whistle recall, i've never taught it she learnt it on social walks where the organisers would whistleif they spotted cyclists other dogs etc and wanted our dogs back onlead.. so 3 toots on the whistle would be followed by me recalling her ... after a few walks she came on the whistle alone :)

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
She moves to the other side of the bed when I turn the light off. When we go to bed I usually read a book or bring my lap top to watch a movie or to check out PF and other forums. She then lies on my side of the bed by my feet , preferably really close. But when I turn the light out she immidiately moves over to the empty side of the bed.

I haven't taught her and I don't really know why she moves, especially since she during the night sprawls out all over the bed and still manages to have at least half the body on my side :D
I wish Molly would do this! I'm in the spare room as my back is so painful but she lies on top of me and this morning I actually fell out of bed.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Nanuqs learnt how to jump up and use the handle to open the back door, unless its locked which no one taught her.

She can also sniff out lost tennis balls in the shrubs near the tennis courts and retrieve them and will carry them all the way home. No one taught her to follow scents and retrieve things.

Kobi worked out how the ice cream van worked and that the engine being turned on means ones coming and puts himself into a sit, plus he learnt himself if there is a cue, he joins the back of it and sits down instead of trying to push up the front, nothing I particularly taught him to do.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Jackson can open the French door if not locked but always seems very surprised as he falls out into the garden. Knows we are going out and he is not if we lock the back door and retires to crate.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Conan will come up to you, paw you and run to the cupboard under the stairs to make you get the broom if his kong/stag bar/rawhide has slide under the sofa, he'll then run back to where its hidden and stand and make sure you get it back for him.
He also brings me his kong before I go to work so I can put some of his food in it for him.

When out for a walk and if he needs a pooh, he'll either back into a bush and go there or turn around so he's not looking at you.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Rufus learnt to pull open a door! He wanted to get out of the living room the other day, but I couldn't be bothered getting up (He'd just been for his pee/poop 10 minutes ago) so told him "no Rufus, lie down". Rufus is cheeky sometimes and knows what he wants. So he grabbed the sleeve of my jumper that was hanging on the back of the door and started to tug it ever so gently. My 1st reaction was "no Rufus, that's naughty, leave it".. and then I realised what he was doing. He was trying to open the door and he was succeeding! I thought he was so smart but didn't want to encourage him to pull my jumper. So I got up, took the jumper down and replaced it with a rope around the door handle and left him to it. Straight away he realised that the rope was to pull (didn't have to show him or anything) and he tugged it and opened the door. He went out, went to find his stag bar, and then returned with it to settle down for the night. That's all he wanted :eek:

The rope is still there so he can get in and out when he wants and I don't have to get up. Just got to teach him to close the door now as I don't think that's one that'll come naturally :)

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
just remembered something else! there's flowerbeds in the garden that the cats bury poo in so tia's not allowed in them, cos she does quite like to try and eat the cat poo. if you tell her to get out and it's the cat poo she's after she'll stop straight away, but if one of her toys has ended up in there (they're a tad overgrown and you can't see) she'll ignore you because she knows she isn't being naughty!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ruby will not toilet in the garden (paved) and prefers to 'go' on grass. If we aren't in the park or near a grass verge she will always pull off to the kerb and toilet in the gutter - obviously only allowed on quiet roads! She has done this since she was only a few months old and it's not something I have taught her.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Axl goes up to people who are sitting down and lifts her hind leg against them. Although she's a girl people think she's going to pee on them (she's not) she just wants her 'wheel arches' tickled.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Oscar has learned that if he picks up a chew toy and parades about with it, Hugo will get off the sofa to come and get it off him - at which point Oscar nicks the warm spot on the sofa! :D He's not as green as he's cabbage-looking that dog.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bella taps at the patio door with her paw when she's finished in the garden and wants us to let her back in through the back door (ie not the patio door). Sometimes we don't hear the tap, but she just sits there patiently until we take notice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.