Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What does this dog yawn mean?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blackadder, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

I thought I understood the reasons why dogs might yawn but this has me a little confused.

Thor will often come to me & paw my arm, repeatedly if I'm not quick enough, wanting me to tickle/scratch his chest. As soon as I start his little eyes close & within 5-10 seconds he yawns, always.

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Nice and relaxed and enjoying the pets :)

3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

What she said :p

Blackadder likes this.
  4. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Shows what I know then... :oops:

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

In this case probably that he is relaxed and enjoying the fuss, but yawning can be a sign of being unsure of a situation or something too, but then its usually accompanied by things like turning the head away adverting eye contact and maybe lip licking.

Blackadder likes this.
  6. Bob Ford

Bob Ford Pickle the Mud Monster,

Pickle does something similar then she goes all silly when I stop daft dog.

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Body language cues have to be taken in context - always. And individual traits and quirks matter too.
    There is no hard/fast rule like yawn = unsure, or tail wag = happy. You have to look at the whole picture. It's all about context, what else the dog is doing and showing through his body language, what else is going on in that situation etc., etc.

That Thor is a) asking you for attention, b) getting the attention he wants and clearly enjoys, and c) comes back and asks for these particular pets over and over, says that this is an enjoyable, pleasant experience for him, and thus the closed eyes and yawn is probably a good indicator of how relaxing he finds those pets.

Yawns *can* be a sign the dog is feeling conflicted and unsure. But just like Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a yawn is just a yawn :D

Blackadder and StormyThai like this.
  8. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Axel has the most annoying way of asking for attention - yawning in a very exaggerated way accompanied with a loud squeak o_O Now he also yawns when he's getting overwhelmed in an exciting situation but is not allowed to go off lead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice