Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What does please observe copyright mean?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Does it mean you can't use the material? ie. if someone has written something?

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

It means, notice there is copyright on this material, so if you nick it to use yourself without permission, or sell it as your own work, we will sue the pants off you:D

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Does that apply to copying and pasting?:D

4. Cromford

Cromford PetForums Senior

Yes Janice it does.

5. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

one or 2 words, it would be difficult to tell, but if you copy and paste an entire paragraph or page you need the owner's permission other wise your stealing their work;) I decided to be a wise ass in school once, tried to copy/paste a page into some of my work, so I didn't have to write as much. Unfortunately the teacher recognised the writing wasn't my style and asked if my parents had done it for me. She was so determined that's what I'd done, I had to tell her I'd gotten it off the web. She made me rewrite the whole damn thing out again in my own words -twice:lol:

6. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

That's plagiarsim. I think there is a difference between not referencing your work and copyright. Under the fair usage policy I think it's deemed acceptable to use material for educational purpose. Problems start when you try and pass off other peoples work as your own
    ( plagiarism )

#6 MissShelley, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I only wanted to know as in a thread about Brian May and it states, Please observe copyright.I've not seen that before.

8. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

Yeah but the teacher was not impressed at telling us to write an essay and me just copy and pasting something off the Internet:biggrin5:

And yes there is a fair usage policy, usually if the material is for educational purposes their a bit more lax with it, but you can buy stuff specially for schools/colleges etc,which have written permission to be allowed to copy and distribute. Under copyright licencing your also allowed to copy one chapter or 5% of a book, and one article of a magazine/ journal to use in education.

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I think if you are cutting and pasting into a forum, then you should acknowledge the author of the piece.

So, if you c & p a paragragh from the Daily Mail, instead of just posting a link, you should state "excerpt taken from Daily Mail" or words to that effect.

We had a member recently who kept posting up C&P paragraphs but he was not stating they were not his own work and a mod had to prompt him on a few occasions to clarify where he had obtained the information from. I am 'assuming' this was to keep the forum clear of any copyright infingement suits.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice