UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking care of some family's dogs for the week, but I only own one dog. My dog always seems very aggressive towards other dogs, but they seem to be getting along alright. My dog is always trying to lick under the chin of one of the other dogs, and that dog doesn't seem to like it much. Is that some type of communication, and if yes, what does it mean?

Also...since I've got you here :) ... my dog keeps taking the toys aways from that particular dog. If the one dog starts playing by himself with a toy, or if they start a game of tug of war, my dog starts growling and takes the toy away. Is that how dogs normally play, or is my dog being a bit selfish?

·
Registered
815 Posts
They are communicating, dogs licking one another is there way of greeting.

With the toys its very normal, there his toys, hes not used to having others playing with them. Make sure they all have some toys to play with, also if he displays aggression then it needs to be addressed as you dont want him to start resource guarding. Hes just not quite sure how to interact.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
some say that licking of the mouth can also be like they perhaps would with the mother dog to encourage her to regurgitate food

or if they have milk in their beard :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.