Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what does a dog do if they have luxating patellas

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by molly moo, Apr 25, 2011.

1. molly moo

molly moo PetForums Member

my friend has booked her dog in the vets for a check up as she thinks her dog has luxating patellas , i didnt want to upset her anymore by asking what it is . as ive never heard of it x

2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

Its the same as what is also known as a slipping patella. Its where the groove in the patella in not deep enough to carry the main muscle properly, so the patella (knee cap) jumps out of line, which makes the dog lame. This can be temporary or last for several minutes and usually the patella slips back into line. It normally occurs in the smaller breeds.

What breed of dog is your friends dog?

One of my Maltese had luxating patellas in both hind legs which were severe. He would crab sideways or refuse to move, depending on whether one or both had disconnected at the same time. He didn't do the typical hopping on three legs. This started at 16 months and suddenly got worse at around 18 months. My vet had to operate and pin both his knee caps as they were so bad. After this was done he walked slightly stiffly but was no longer in pain and could run about like a normal dog. He lived to 15.

It is also possible for the vet to operate and just deepen the groove so everything lines up properly.

Needless to say his showing career came to an abrupt end and he was also castrated.

Another one had a very mild slip and use to hop occasionally, which the vet said would correct itself over time. It did and all was well.

I hope your friends dog is a mild case. warmest wishes

3. leashedForLife

as above, the kneecap slips out of alignment - it hurts to weight-bear when it's out of place, so the dog will limp or if the dog
    is running, they'll appear to 'skip' in the back-end, or they'll bunny-hop while running [use both legs together, not a 4-beat
    stride or gallop, but front-end individually & rear like a pogo-stick].

both Giant & toy-breeds are often affected, altho any dog can be; giants tend to luxate medially [slips ==> <== inward],
    toys tend to luxate laterally [slips <=== outward ===>]. One or both legs can be affected.

one suspicious trait:
    the dog stands over-pronated with a very-vertical flat foot & straight-up leg, vs normal approx 45-degrees at paw
    to leg, & 90-degrees at hock & knee - knees are hidden under the fleshy thigh muscle.

4. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

my chihuahua has recently been diagnosed with luxating patella i noticed she was hopping and basically just walking a bit weird so i took her vets and the vet confirmed that she had luxating patella.
    at teh momet ot dosent seem to bother her but the vet said she may need surgery later in life. if her dog does have luxating patella hopefuly her vet will tell her what grade her dog has.
    good luck for your friend at the vets

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice