Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you use for training treats?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucyandsandy, Apr 17, 2011.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Hello, my little girl is really fussy with her treats and will only really go mad for cheese which I don't really want to use. It takes her ages to eat any hard or chewy treats so I am stood there waiting for ages till I can do the next command! Any suggestions, I am going to need something for puppy classes tomorrow!

2. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

When Cleo was a pup we cooked up liver and then baked it so it went quite dry... Stunk the house out but she LOVED it and would do almost anything for it....

3. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

liver sausage is really cheap when bought from the deli. Last time I bought some it was less than 30p for 100g. SMELLS to high heaven, but the dogs all love it!

For my really tiny breeds, I use chewy kitten treats too :)

4. lucyandsandy

:eek: I can't stand liver so will have to got my other half to do that! Is it easy to eat? It's cheap to which is a bonus!

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Primula cheese is a favourite at the moment- it's not as fattening as regular cheddar cheese and you needn't give as much of it to make a nice reward. Just squeeze a tiny smear out and let the dog lick it.

Liver cake is also a firm favourite with my boys- sometimes I'll swap the liver for sardines, tuna or chicken.

As for commerical treats we use a few different ones, I work my dogs alot and don't want them getting bored! We use Thrive 100% natural treats, the Natures Menu treats, Fish4Dogs superstars, James Wellbeloved minijacks, Harringtons training treats, Burns training treats and very occasionally, tiny pieces of those Pedigree smachko things.

Pieces of cooked chicken can work well and be a high value treat for dogs fed on commerical kibble/wet food, but I've found it's not special enough for BARF fed dogs since they get so much fresh chicken anyway.

6. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

My dogs love cheese,chicken and tinned hotdog pieces. we also sometimes use tuna, and james well beloved mini jacks always go down well.
    Could you try any of these? :)

#6 portiaa, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Kenzie was a very small pup and I had the same problem with her taking ages to eat treats, even kibble and puppy sized treats.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use cheese? It's a bit high in fat but if you give tiny amounts it's ok. Otherwise how about cooked chicken, ham, hot dog sausages?

8. I normally use thinkly sliced german slyle hot dog sausages (my dog originated from Germany:D) But just purchased some of the Lizzie's bark-ery home made treats! the dogs love em.
    DT

9. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

Yeah dead easy to eat as it is a dry dissolver rather than chewy - if that makes sense! Also because it's so strong in flavour and smell you only need to use tiny tiny pieces - about 1/2 cm should do it!

Good luck with the class by the way...

10. Depends....

Training at home? - Natures diet's treats.

Training outside (so ringcraft or at shows) - Chicken or hot dog's.

11. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I use cooked meat pieces,I get them from Morrisons and they are already cut up and they sell them for 59p per 100gms.

There is usually a good mixture of meat in there,beef,ham,chicken & Turkey.

I sometimes use cheese aswell.

I have tried biscuits or dog training treats but they don't work with Craven.

12. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

I use Chicken sushi rolls from P@H. They are quite big so I slice them thinly, and then in half so they are small treats. They absolutely stink but Piper will do anything for them so they are great training treats. We do have to watch her though as she's learnt how to unscrew the jar so will try to steal them at any chance she gets!

13. lucyandsandy

I didn't think cheese was very good for dogs? I will carry on using that if it is ok for them? I only give her tiny tiny bits

14. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I make liver cake for mine. I hate liver, the smell of the first batch made me gag but I've got used to it now and it doesn't bother me.

I have also used hot dog sausages, cheese & chicken

Mine won't do anything for commercial treats or kibble

15. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I don't like giving cheese as I know of 2 dogs who got it stuck in their throat and died..

Luckily mine eat anything so I don't have any problems :D

16. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Pepperoni is bells ultimate fave and I save this for training classes.

Otherwise chicken, ham,cheese, hot dog. X

17. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Liver cake is good because you can give tiny bits, its soft and easy to eat.

18. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Cheese is perfectly fine to give-go for a low fat version if you prefer.

Liver cake is dirt cheap to make and 'high value'. I make loads and freeze it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice