Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kinjilabs, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Just seen this on facebook, someone training their dog to walk whilst not holding the lead?
    Maybe I'm being a bit thick but why don't you want to hold the lead? Isnt it dangerous not having him held by the lead?
    · Reply · 13 minsEdit
    [​IMG]
    Lauren Wick
    Not dangerous if you have trust and have trained your dog properly. You must have seen dogs that can walk by their owner not being on the lead? That's what I want for Roscoe. I know the situations in which it wouldn't be safe to do this but I love love love training and for me I'm training him to work his mind and most importantly to be safe around the road.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Am not on Facebook so can't see what the actual whole plan is..

I did do a lot off heelwork offlead with my old dogs, to be honest have been lazy with the minibeasts but planning to do some to during walks...

I found it useful for where I walked when tractors were in nearby fields...in fact once a tractor driver stopped and asked if I did obedience with Jovi. I just did it because he really enjoyed to do it, and kept him stimulated...but I wouldn't dream of doing it on road sides etc. It's just a bit of fun, extra stimulation.

Too many people in my town do do it though, and they really shouldn't, the dogs will stop at kerbsides when shouted at to do so, but have seen some near misses in my time as people have got distracted! I don't know why they bother though.

If I have the wrong end of the stick I apologise...but I do think bombproof dogs can get spooked and it wouldn't be worth the risk in my opinion.

3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My oldest dog will stay to heel off lead, but I'd only ask him to do it where it was safe (not near a road). I agree that it is good for making them think and keeps their focus on you. They both also know to stop and stay if the lead is dropped.

Lurcherlad and cbcdesign like this.
  4. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I agree. Its all fine until it goes wrong, the dog doesn't stop and gets injured or killed then people will regret not taking safety more seriously. There is a time and a place for off lead even with reliable dogs and that place is not near roads. There is no such thing as safe around roads off lead as far as I am concerned.

MiffyMoo and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I can't see any good reason for it near roads, etc.

Could it be more about the owner's ego, perhaps? ;)

Even the best trained dog can blow it - too dangerous to risk it near a road IMO.

lullabydream likes this.
  6. kare

kare PetForums VIP

My thoughts are it is stupid to do. Even if you never have a dog step off the pavement passing drivers do not know that.

Those drivers attention is then on your dog and as a result are at risk of not noticing another hazard possibly risking their own of another persons life

That said I do practice with my dogs road sense like making an utt noise to mark stepping off a kerb whilst walking is wrong,unless told to. Or what to do if you get loose of your lead or lead dropped... But on empty roads.
    I think most dogs are surprised to be loose so freeze anyway... I just think to reinforce that when they first start outside

#6 kare, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  7. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I couldn't get onto the page unfortunately. I sometimes do off-lead heelwork with mine whilst out on walks. We had to do it for GCDS Gold and we're doing competitive obedience so obviously have to do it for that. I sometimes use it on walks when she's off-lead anyway and we need to go past people and I want to make sure she is out of the way. I'll do it for a brief period of time and then let her go again.

However I would NEVER do it near a road. I really don't understand why people do this. If Holly makes a mistake when I'm practising it's not the end of the world, but for these dogs who are off-lead by roads that mistake could cost them their lives (or someone else's). It gives me the eebie jeebies when I'm driving and I see a dog walking off-lead by the road. It only takes a brief moment of a lapse in concentration, something to spook the dog or for the dog to see something (such as a cat) that it wants to go after and that could be it. I do think sometimes it's an ego thing, but when I see someone doing it with their dog I don't think "oh wow that dog is well-trained", I think "oh God what a stupid thing to do!"

lullabydream, Cleo38 and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

It's quite simple really, if you are on any public road or pedestrianised shopping area your dog is on a lead. No matter how well trained your dog is you can't predict it's behaviour 100% of the time, and on roads even 99.99% isn't good enough. It's a particular bugbear of mine.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I can see her point, & she does stress that there are times that there are situations in which it wouldn't be safe to do so.

I was at Suzanne Clothier seminar the other day where she was talking about 'ghost handling' (getting someone else to hold your dog on a lead & you have to keep your dog with you using voice, body language, etc rather than relying on the lead. This was also effective for handlers who were anxious & maybe using the lead to create tension within the dog.

I do all my training offlead which is great in some ways (but then does mean my handling skills are't great so i do need more practice) but again, if there is any element of a risk then my dogs are on a lead.

I can also understand that for some dogs if the lead is dropped then they are off so maybe again this is something that she is training not to happen as it's just an everyday thing

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

She is training the dog to do something that loads of people train their dogs to do. Does this actually mean she is going to put it into practice in a dangerous environment. Probably not. Surely you want your dog to be able to walk beside you off lead if you tell it to. A fairly essential thing to train I would have thought. (says me who only has one dog at the moment I have done it with

Cleo38 likes this.
  11. evel-lin

evel-lin PetForums VIP

I don't have a problem with someone training it as long as they put a lead on the dog when necessary like near a road. I'd rather see a dog walking calmly offlead next to their owner than a loony attached to a flexilead with a distracted owner

12. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

So true. I would describe Lola as pretty bomb proof with unexpected noises etc, as she tends to check it out just to see if it was particularly heavy food hitting the floor. But yesterday we walked past a building site and something big and metallic was dropped. She immediately tried to fling herself right across the road. Thankfully I keep them on a short leash for exactly this reason

lullabydream likes this.
  13. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Both my dogs have been trained to walk slightly ahead of me and when told to "wait" they stop, turn their heads to look at me and wait until I catch up and tell them to "walk" again. They're so used to this routine I don't even have to tell them, but even so as much as I trust them I don't trust them enough to walk off leash anywhere where we're likely to encounter vehicles.

They're much too precious!

lullabydream, cbcdesign and MiffyMoo like this.
  14. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I agree with the training in so much as its obviously a good thing if a lead is dropped and you can immediately tell the dog to stop and he or she does so. That's perfectly sensible.

15. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

This.

In France earlier this year, an off lead dog ran under the wheels of a car. It wasn't killed outright but it couldn't possibly survive. I had to help people get the poor thing into a van take to a vet where it would be pts. The people were not the owners, they weren't there - perhaps a blessing that they didn't see it although they should clearly have had it under control - I believe it was a regular 'visitor' as the shop owners knew it. I can honestly say it was the most horrible thing I have ever seen, I had nightmares after and still not a day passes that I don't think about it. It just isn't worth the risk in my view.

lullabydream, cbcdesign and Magyarmum like this.
  16. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Yes its horrible seeing an animal killed or in injured on the road. Small animals tend to get killed outright which is sort of a blessing, larger ones suffer terribly.

17. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

As an additional point if a dog causes an accident on the road then [at least in the UK] the owner is liable for any damage caused either to vehicles property or people as it would be declared as being not under proper control. It's a good thing to train but it has to be used when safe to do so.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  18. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My dogs are all trained to walk off lead beside me, both individually and all together. Would I do it near a road? No way.

Sairy, JoanneF, MiffyMoo and 2 others like this.
  19. Catrina

Catrina PetForums Junior

I never let my dogs off the lead, I would sooner they were safe rather than being sorry.

20. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

All my dogs walk beside me off lead, never on roads or dangerous areas, but they all have to do it. I'm training Arwin who is 13 weeks old to walk beside me, off lead and change direction. I will not be training him in a dangerous environment or area, that's stupid.

MiffyMoo and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice