Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

What do you think this mini dachshund cross is mixed with?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alice L, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Alice L

Alice L PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I adopted what I thought was a mini dachshund x standard dachshund from a family local to me.

When it was smaller (met it at 8 weeks), I didn't even question it and I completely fell in love with one of the pups and agreed to adopt it when it was ready. The family seemed lovely, I met the Mum (who was indeed a mini dachshund) and they showed me a photo of the 'father', a black standard dachshund.

This is my first dog so maybe I was a bit naive. However, I'm perfectly happy with the pup. He is now 12 weeks, adorable and has the sweetest temperament and loves everyone he meets. I've only had him a week.

However, everyone I've met has said he has 100% got something else mixed in there. Some said Jack Russell, some believe it could be a bigger dog.

It's no issue to me and I'm going to give him a loving home regardless. I'm really just curious and would like to research the cross so I can try to understand him even better!

The pictures attached were taken this week! Any thoughts? His muzzle doesn't seem to be as long/thin as dachshunds and his paws are huge. His ears are maybe slightly shorter too? He does have the short legs/long body thing going on, just not as much as I'd expected. He is quite muscular.

Attached Files:

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I've no idea but he is unique and a beauty

3. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Hard to tell but he does look quite big for his age. Did the breeder have other dogs, that might give an idea.

4. Alice L

Alice L PetForums Newbie

He is, isn't he? I'm happy regardless... just really curious! He is SO sweet-natured and friendly with everyone... also incredibly cuddly!

Bobbie and picaresque like this.
  5. Alice L

Alice L PetForums Newbie

No other dogs there. I want to believe they were being honest, but he just doesn't look completely Dachshund. Strange! Thanks for your reply.

6. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

He is a very cute pup. It would be interesting to see what happens as he grows. I'm guessing you don't want to ask the breeder in case they take offence?

7. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Member

This picture is of my first dog -many,many years ago.

He was a cross between a mini and a standard smooth Dachshund in the days when such crosses in dachs could still be registered.
    I would judge yours to have some other breed in there probably.

Very loveable though and it would be interesting to see him as an adult.

Attached Files:

8. Alice L

Alice L PetForums Newbie

Ah, thanks for your reply... that's so interesting as that is what they claim he is!

Maybe I am just being suspicious? People's comments just got me thinking.

And what did your dog (mini x standard) end up like temperament-wise?

9. Alice L

Alice L PetForums Newbie

I may ask them, but yes, I am a little scared they'd take offence and are actually telling the truth. A difficult one!

picaresque likes this.
  10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

He's gorgeous! Almost getting abit of a Lab vibe from him, def isnt as longbacked or short legged as you'd expect from a daxie cross. Maybe one of the parents is a actually a crossbreed?
    I have 2 daxie crosses so big fan here!LOL;)

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Possibly the parents could be from working lines, not show lines, so the short legs and long back would be less exaggerated - all the better for it.

Torin. likes this.
  12. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Member

AliceL It's a long while ago but I chiefly remember him being stubborn, loving going down holes (suprise!), digging holes and travelling in the car.

He also used to sit on my lap and dive underneath the bedcovers given half a chance. He and the cat used to share a bed - the cat draped over the top of him like a furry blanket.

I am sure you will enjoy your boy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice