Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you think of this dog's body language?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Nicky10, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

2. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

This is not really a sharing behaviour. I would not be surprised if this clip was shot during a greeting as in someone has come home or other exciting situation.

It seems to be a self calming act to hold something in exiting situations for a lot of dogs. There may be some evolutionary significance in social behaivour to this.

He shows lots of soft signaling, curved body, ears back, nose lowered, low wagging tail with large pupils showing the excitment of the scenario. Very sweet fella :)

He doesn't offer the item and only complies when it is taken from his mouth. In fact he turns away from the hand a few times and constantly moves.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They said he does it when someone comes in as a greeting behaviour. He is very sweet isn't he. What do you think of the second one?

4. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Don't know how I missed the second link :rolleyes: I have no sound so may miss voice over and other details.

Greeting in the first segment:

When camera first appears dog pins ears and offers some slow blinking (small eyes) and tongue flicks. This may be self calming, the big eye of the camera looking on or just sleepy head :D

I think that the flooring is unsuitable for these dogs as both move in a very stilited fashion on it and slip a little.

Again the pibble offers fast low wag, lowered nose, tongue flicks, averted gaze on approach to camera-person. Nice greeting stuff from a soft dog :D

He does some lovely pro-social wriggling for his person and then a bit of a shake off perhaps self calming. We see some nose licking and little sneezes perhaps in excitment.

He then looks to regroup and get everybody together by sniffing his Boxer buddy and giving a big stretch and yawn. Maybe the stretch an dyawn combo is a bit relieving after the interaction with the Boxer and/or camera person. More likely to do with greeting, bonding and getting everyone on the move together.

Not sure about the feeding segment, as in whats its showing. Nice dogs having dinner and being fed separately...great :p

Pibble appears behind Boxer who eyes him and stands his ground, a couple of lip licking from pibble and head lowering, moves away - perhaps just after eating. Pibble may just be checking up on his person and not the bowl at all. Boxer may be letting him know that his bowl is here and for the pibble to move on!

Nice clips but I don't think they show anything too worrying or submissive or balanced whatever the hell that's supposed to mean (I think that it might be CM speak :rolleyes: )

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Well they were posted by a pro-CM site so of course they're going to say he's balanced and submissive. I think the couple of times he did show mild stress signals threw me a bit but he looks like such a sweetie

6. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

I don't think that these dogs are in a stressful situation. So called stress signs are context specific hence there will always be a degree of ambivalence when it comes to reading signaling.
    There is even ambivalence when we read human signaling and we're the same species :D

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

No I didn't really think he was stressed just excited Buster does the bow stretch thing while making a really weird noise when he's very excited. Just confused me for a few seconds wondered what everyone else thought

8. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

I love that noise they make when doing that stretch, almost like talking lol

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

It scared my friend the other day though she thought he was growling at her :rolleyes:. It is such a funny noise

10. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

I just see them as calm, happy dogs. There's nothing submissive or balanced or whatever- both social dogs, relaxed in their company.

The Boxer at the end was a little stiff, with his weight forward and fairly wide stance near his bowl, plus lip licking and perhaps a hard stare at the Pit Bull, but the situations was quickly diffused by the Pit Bull increasing distance.

I know the site where these come from and it is a all pro-CM twaddle. What I find frustrating is that these people read so much into these dogs, going on about how they are balanced and submissive because they know their place in the pack, and say that any dog that is jumping up is not happy or balanced. Duh? I would just say untrained!

If you even asked them what a calming signal was, they'd probably be stuck for words.

11. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yeah I don't normally go on the site because it is so pro-CM and every breed has you must be pack leader in it except for the Koiker entry which was written very well I thought. Plus all the crossbreeds at least they say they're crosses I guess. I was just bored spotted these videos in the raising a puppy section and decided to see what you thought

12. leashedForLife

YouTube - Submissive Pit Bull Brings His Bone To Share

i agree with Anne/tripod - he's got something in his gob because it's comforting or calming to him,
    in fact he shows a little bit of trophy behavior: 'see what i got? oooh-oooh... :D...
    his legs are contracted under his body & gait is stilted - tail is down but wags widely, there's some appeasement,
    but he's a real doll. Circling is not 'submissive', it presents as non-threatening but prevents interaction; as long as
    he keeps circling with his SHOULDER & BUTT out, head & bone in, it's difficult to reach his face... or take his bone. :lol:

so there's excitement, self-calming [oral pacifier], some keep-away/trophy, & definite greeting -
    he's very socail & delighted to see the arrivals.

13. leashedForLife

YouTube - How Balanced Dogs Act

whale-eyes, lip-licks, low rapid-fire wags, some with the latter third only...
    sneezes [over-emotional], swallowing, pacing, - wow. Happy, but highly conflicted.

all in the part BEFORE the dog's meal.

14. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Yeah Terry its bizarre that playing 'keep-away' is considered submissive :D

I think a lot of the funny walking and leg positioning is down to the flooring - the dogs seem to be compensating for a slippery floor.

I wonder if the pibble's conflict is down to the approach down the stairs or that there is expectation of something about to happen, walkies, play, feeding time?

Context is everything ;)

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

16. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

I'd rather stick pencils in my eyes than read that site again!!

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I know the page that lists things that the dog is clearly doing to dominate you is ridiculous covers just about every single dog behaviour

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice