Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you think of this breeder?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Canine K9, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

2. HappyWag

HappyWag PetForums Senior

Looks like a good ethical breeder, with health tested parents. The website is great, nothing wrong with cross breeds when done properly.

3. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

Looks pretty good :) At least they aren't charging £1000s for crossbreeds...I like that they are promoting raw and good quality dog foods rather than some of the standard/poor quality commercial diets as well as more natural products :)

While I am not a huge fan of deliberatly crossing dogs to make crosses, this breeder seems good and ethical purely based on the website with only a couple of dogs, and not huge amounts churning out puppies like a puppy mil :)

4. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

From the website, they sound pretty good. I like that they specific that they do not sell the pups at different prices depending on sex/colour as all pups are worth the same. They also point out that they do moult, and that people's allergies may vary and hence people should visit the dogs first to see if they have a reaction. They are definitely doing more for their dogs than the average breeder on free ads selling this cross.

Cavachons are one of the specific cross breeds that I really rather like, and sort of see a 'gap' in pure breeds that Cavachons fill - for purely shallow reasons you understand, but personally all of the laid back, companion dogs, do not have a look that I am that big a fan of. None just look like cuddly scruffy dogs in my opinion, whereas the Cavachons do.

missRV likes this.
  5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

The cav female doesn't have an mri scan although the stud has been but apart from that they look good. They're so tempting I would love a dog of this mix but could never find a good breeder

6. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

The only issue I have is that there is no mention of the cav bitch having had an MRI. I'd also want to know how old the cav bitch is and what age she was when she first had a litter, if she's already had one.

7. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

TBH the price would bother me. £650 seems like a hell of a lot for a crossbred dog.

I actually find this cross to be far more attractive than either parent breed but I would still begrudge paying £650 for a cross.

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They also don't claim they're hypoallergenic:
    Allergy - Cracking Cavachons

And the purchase contract says the puppies are to be returned to them should the owners not be able to keep them. The puppy videos are just adorable.

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I agree with the comments about MRI scan for the cavalier bitch, I can't see how often they breed or how soon from their bitches, or what their criteria is for visiting bitches; but on the surface they look generally *good*, the price tag doesn't bother me if they do things as well as possible, although it's more than I'd pay for one.

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

11. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I've emailed her asking about Evie's mri scan and how often they're bred. I included a link to this thread so if she's interested she can come answer herself.

13. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I don't have an opinion about the breeder, I haven't looked at the website. I love both breeds and prefer a dog to be one or the other not both.

14. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Just what I thought - when breeders charge more for bitch, it is giving a green light saying "Hey! Breed me! I'm a little furry investment fund!" Same for colours - paying extra for a 'rare' colour - must be crackers.

And they are honest about allergies. If I wanted one of these dogs, this is where I would go. Personally I avoid 'designer' dogs, but if they are well-bred with care, I certainly wouldn't write them off. I wish all cross-breeds had the same consideration put into their breeding.

15. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

If they were a pedigree breeder then i'd be happy with them. I still believe there are enough pedigree breeds out there for everyone but as long as they are doing it ethically and correctly then power to them - at the end of the day, there IS a huge demand for these dogs so it's nice to see that there is at least one breeder out there who is going about it correctly :)

I would find it very interesting though to ask some of their puppy buyers whether they agreed with pedigree show breeders, and if not, then why not - as this breeder is only doing exactly the same as what many show breeders do.

16. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

You have rep coming your way because I've just said to Rosie 'Cuddly scruffy dog' and she wagged her tail...

The breeder seems good :) I've had problems recommending our breeder to people asking where we got Rosie from so depending on what's said on here we may avoid that awkward conversation in future :)

#16 missRV, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  17. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

Cavachon
    [​IMG]

Havanese
    [​IMG]

Coton de Tulear
    [​IMG]

Lowchen
    [​IMG]

Tibetan terrier
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't have called that much of a gap in the market to be honest, lol. I've nothing against crosses and if they're being bred ethically then fantastic, but I don't think there's a shortage of cuddly scruffy dog breeds.

18. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

Tibetan terriers are not known for being laid back ;) There are other dogs that look a bit like cavachons, but they are usually terrier types - gorgeous, but not usually known for being laid back (as a rule). The Havanese and the Coton de Tulear in that photo, I agree, look similar but the ones I have met in person are still 'fluffy white dogs', opposed to the scruffy look I'm talking about. I don't know very much about the Lowchen, but they don't seem to have the look I'm talking about either. I'm not saying that just because I like the look of them, that that is a good enough reason to breed, but I still would say that there are not many low energy scruffy dog breeds. Lots of fluffy white ones, but that's not quite the same (although I concede, similar!).

19. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

The bolognese:
    [​IMG]

The whole bichon family are just great little dogs

20. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

But you didn't say low energy <sulks> I was going for affectionate...lol

Surely though the difference between a fluffy and a scruffy dog is mostly how you keep their coat? The Lowchen for instance, they're usually long on the front and shaved on the back, but they look really different with just a grown out puppy cut.

I'll give you low energy though, I thought of small, scruffyish cuddly breeds:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice