Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you think is a 'long' walk for a dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tabelmabel, Mar 29, 2021.

1. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I'm shocked:eek:

Today i only managed to get my 2 out for half hour this morning. That will do murph, but i took Till for an additional half hour this evening.

Not something i normally do of an evening. Well, the little path near my house was very busy, much busier than i have ever seen it.

Tilly does like her sniffs, so i stood to the side to let a man pass. He had a greyhound and his daughter (i assume) who looked to be around 9 or 10 yrs.

I commented how busy it was. He said it was the post dinner stroll. I said i dont normally do a post dinner stroll as i would normally get out for an hour or so during the day.

At which point his jaw visibly dropped and he said "an hour? Wow!"

Now, it could well have been due to his perception of me as a decrepit old person not able to walk far. But i rather got the impression he thought an hour was really long.

He made a comment about greyhounds being good as you dont need to go far and it's a good low exercise dog for walking with kids.

To me, an hour is adequate, an hour and a half is optimum and 2hrs is long.

Half an hour is short.

What do you all think?

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I think it depends on the dog (and owner!) tbh. For Fly, anything over say 40 mins is a long walk. He likes walks but he is built for speed and a ten min zoomy session once or twice a day is what he loves to do. He gets a few outings during the week as well, but they are sniffy walks and we don't do more than about 40 mins per walk. If I find safe space he will have a play and training session too where he gets to stretch his legs a bit more.
    The other 2 are different. Like you anything over about 1.5hours is considered a long walk. My brother will usually take each one on a long 2.5 - 3 hr walk once a week, and other days they get a 'normal' length walk and/or runs round the fields.
    I'd certainly not say an hour was a long walk or be shocked if someone said they'd been out for an hour!! Unless it was a puppy or old dog.

Torin., LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  3. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

My walks are nearly always over an hour, nearer to 2. Most weekends I will do a long walk, often about 3 hours weather permitting.

I like to take them to lots of different places and go exploring.

LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I go by distance rather than duration.

My current shortest walk is just over 9 miles, and at least twice a week we'll cover over 20. We average at 15.

Ive come to the conclusion though, that any walk is better than no walk. There are loads of dogs that simply get nothing more than being shut out in a garden day in, and day out :(

Even if its just 30 minutes, thats 30 minutes of moving, sniffing and a different environment.

5. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

The Greyhound Trust told me that greyhounds don't need a great deal of exercise (they're built for short bursts of incredibly fast speed). They're affectionately known as 40 mph couch potatoes.

However, my Lily has clearly either not read that page of "How to be a Greyhound" or, if she did, she choses to ignore it. She will happily have two walks a day of two hours each, plus mad zoomies in the garden.

6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I was really surprised when a Greyhound trainer told me that (even when they’re racing) they only do 2 x 20 minute walks a day.

Tod and I do an hour on a ‘normal’ day but that includes playing, sniffing, training whatever. Once or twice a week we might do longer.

Depends on your dog doesn’t it?

7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

That's the sort of distance makes my jaw drop! I think i only do 3 to 4 miles and the dogs do about 5. Murphy cant do more than 10 really. He does a ten miler once or twice a year and that's his limit.

LinznMilly and kimthecat like this.
  8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Oh, it definitely does but the nation is in a sorry state when a slim young man with an older child thinks an hour is long.

9. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

We try for an hour off lead during the day and half an hour round the neighbourhood at night. He could do more or less, as long as he gets a decent sniff he's happy.

I could do with more though :rolleyes:

Lurcherlad and tabelmabel like this.
  10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I do wonder if i would do the same if Ned were off lead. But as we only travel at a moderate pace (for a dog), he isnt putting himself under the same strain as he would free running.

Mind you, i dont drive, and there are places i want to go, and if i can get there on foot i will as its doable.

I used to walk with someone who was obsessed with dogs only needing one hour a day and she'd never contemplate more. I tracked our walk once and we barely covered a mile she walked so slow!

Suffice to say we dont walk together any more (plus her new dog is an out of control PITA).

Torin. and tabelmabel like this.
  11. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

The boys tend to get an hours walk or field time then a second longer one for Loki and a shorter one for Sox. I like a long mooch. They are pretty fit though and can do longer walks. Loki gets more exercise than Sox because I need to be mindful of his arthritis and loki is younger. They tend to get the bigger walk in the morning I find it settled them for the day.

Lurcherlad, LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  12. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I reckon Tilly does 20 times what you do! :D

It's interesting, it came up on another forum I use where someone wanting a (big and energetic) dog said they could commit to half an hour twice a day - which of course is fine for some dogs but not the breeds he wanted. My response to that particular person was that my nearly 11 year old terrier mix gets twice that.

LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

You're not wrong there:Hilarious

JoanneF likes this.
  14. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

In general I'd say 2 hours + in one go is long.

My childhood dog got 2 one hour walks a day, Bungo however gets about 20 - 30 minutes twice a day, more than that is too much for him.

15. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I can’t let loki off so we cover a lot of ground. He occasionally runs with me but moves faster than Sox anyway. Sox can go off lead so this makes a difference.

16. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

My two each get a 20 minute to half hour walk but not every day as it depends how well I can walk which sometimes is not very far. But unless it's bitterly cold or pouring with rain I spend a lot of time in the garden with them. It's1500 sq metres so large enough that they can always find something of interest.

This afternoon because they're both a little bit tender from grooming I decided it wasn't a good idea to put their harnesses on so we did some gardening instead. Grisha had a great time digging up potatoes that had just been planted and rearranging all the labels that said what everything was, whilst Gwylim searched for the treats I'd scattered on the grass

lorilu, LinznMilly, Sarah H and 4 others like this.
  17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

It really just depends doesn't it?

Bates will be 13 this summer, he goes with me to the stream every day for a good 30, 45 minute meander, then he sits on his orthopedic bed on the front porch and watches the world go by for a while. Most mornings I can get him to do another 30-ish minute wander about the property.

When he was younger, he would go for a 5 to 8 mile run with me in the morning, spend the day outside with the kids patrolling and playing, do training sessions with me, and maybe a class in the evenings.

Penny goes on the same stream walk with Bates, and covers ten times as much ground. I take her on a good walk in the morning too, she and Bates do a quick meander, then I put Bates in the house and Penny and I go for a longer leashed walk.
    When we're home during the day, Penny and I will do at least one or two other walks. So some days she does a short walk with Bates, a longer walk with me, then off to a state park for an even longer walk, home, do some training or "help" me in the garden or housework, then an afternoon walk with Bates, more training... She stays pretty busy :D

Some dogs are absolutely fine with a 20 minute walk once a day. But I like being out and about and like a dog who is happy keeping up with that.

Torin., LinznMilly, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I used to walk for miles and on work days my dogs got 40 minutes in the morning, about an hour after work and 20 minutes last thing at night with long walks at weekends. My limit now is an hour and that not too often. Half to three quarters of an hour is my normal. I walk quite fast and do not mess around but too far finishes me off! When the dogs were exercised behind the driving ponies Toffee would go between 6 and 12 miles most days. Candy would be up on the seat for at least half. They don't seem to miss it but they are 10 and 12 now so dont need so much exercise anyway.

Torin. and tabelmabel like this.
  19. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

In the week I do half hour before work Dottie on the flexi and Billy mainly off but it's more of a sniffy toilet walk. At lunch I kick a ball in the garden for them and do a bit of training. In the evening we do at least an hour, will be longer now the nights are lighter. At the weekend we usually do a 7-8 mile. They've had a decent amount of exercise today plus we had some workmen in which sent dottie ballistic but they are currently racing around the living room playing a very energetic game! Sometimes I wish I had a treadmill, or maybe a giant hamster wheel for Billy!

Lurcherlad and tabelmabel like this.
  20. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Half an hour a day would be ample for murph but there's no good places round me that could be done in half an hour. I like to enjoy the walk too so an hour minimum but usually just over.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice