UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article on another site today about parents not allowing their children to be unattended playing outdoors which is resulting in children being cooped up indoors instead of out playing.this is what was said...

The fears of mums and dads concerning what may happen to their children if they are left alone outside of the home are resulting in many youngsters being cooped up indoors.

More than two-thirds of parents said they think the world is a more dangerous place today than it was when they were growing up.

In addition, it discovered that 43 per cent of those polled would not let their little ones go to the nearest park unaccompanied.

Do you agree with this? do you think we are keeping our children cooped up because we fear they wil be kidnapped or hurt if left alone or do you think the majority of parents have a happy medium so the kids are safe but still allowed a little freedom to play?

Personally i wont allow my children outside to play alone, not yet. i will when they reach a suitable age, but right now they are too young. i however worry just as much about road safety as i do them being kidnapped. i think there are many reasos why parents feel their children should not be allowed up the park on their own ect.

What doe everyone else think? Do your children play out alone, and what age is the right age to let them?

·
Banned
4,651 Posts
i had a strick up bring if i wanted anythink excpensive i would have to get it myself or wait untill i was older .
up untill the age of 19 i had to be home by 9:30 10:00 the latest now at this point all my mate were going out to night clubs and then there was me at home in bed. lol
the thing is todays kids are looking more older then they are and thats what worrie most parents i think as kid will lie about there age and could end up getting raped or worse took off. i personally would not let my daughter go out with make up on her face untill she was at least 16!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I have 2 boys, 10 & 6. I have recently started letting the 10 year old go out to the park at the back of the house but I am very on edge when he does. He is not "street-wise" at all.

The few times I have let him out with the 6 year old they have ended up in trouble. The 6 year old has behavioural problems and does not realise you cannot call people names without them retaliating. Last year I found four 13 year olds trying to get into our garden to "get him", so he stays in now and when he is the garden I keep watch.

It's difficult as we only moved here a few years ago and previous to that the area we lived in was a lot "nicer".

Some of the children here have been taking themselves to school since they were in P1. Very street-wise and my children are not.

My 10 year old was punched in the face on Monday at school for wearing school uniform and "bulky shoes" rather than joggies and dirty trainers.... thankfully he had the good sense to report it and the horrid child who punched him has 6 weeks detention.

I grew up here as a child and there were a few bad streets but now the families seem to be migrating to the "nice" areas. It is different.

I cannot even leave my cats out at night or when I am out for long periods as these children have already questioned "how much are they cats worth"? :eek:

·
Banned
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aw your poor son, i hope he's ok :(

i agree some kids just arent streetwise, weve seen a few really little kids out the front of hours on their own trying to cross the road, it makes me cringe, but some parents just dont care.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
aw your poor son, i hope he's ok :(

i agree some kids just arent streetwise, weve seen a few really little kids out the front of hours on their own trying to cross the road, it makes me cringe, but some parents just dont care.
He was fine, just a bit panicked, he doesn't understand it it. It didn't help that they said your mother is a bitch and she drinks whiskey all day! :D I don't even like alcohol! Notice I say nothing about the bitch bit.....

He is such a thoughtful boy he said "now Mum, I don't want you to panic but I was bullied today"! :) He handled it correctly though, I was busy reaching for the phone, then had to bite my tounge when I seen the mother of one of them in the shops later.

We are quite lucky as it's not too bad where we live but one of the children who was involved in the bullying, lives quite close but the mother doesn't give a toss, she let's her 4 year old out to play with traffic, I just don't know how they can do it without caring.

It is difficult to explain to a 6 year old why he isn't allowed out when there are children running around in nappies etc.

I remember running up & down to my friends at a very young age and also taking myself to school but it really was different then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.