Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you suggest??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by helen123, Jan 19, 2012.

1. helen123

helen123 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, im new to this forum but thought it would be a good idea to join and get some advice off all you dog experts out there. We have decided after lots of thought to get a puppie and was wondering what kind of dog/breed you all recomend:confused:. We have 3 children 8,10 and 13, we are looking to get a medium size dog that will be walked every day, we live in a medium size house with a medium size garden (sounds very boring lol) hope this gives you some idea for some suggestions. Can't wait to hear your replies.:)

2. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

as i love rough collies i would always recommend them to people they have lovely temprements and they dont need too much walking, like 3 hours with other dogs. and need little space as well.

they are loyal to the end and love and dote on their owners and are great with children. they love to play too so you have fun with them, plus they are gentle dogs too and dont have things like a prey drive or attack they are very gentle natured.

as i love the breed i cant say enough good about them but thats just me as i have had them 25 years.

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

You can't go wrong with a Lab or a Greyhound (of course the latter would be older and a rescue) Or even a show line cocker spaniel or a Staffie. (yes I know they're not medium dogs but they have the energy of one)

Actually if you're wanting a pup, the world's your oyster. Any pup can be brought up around children - it's how you bring it up that matters.

Of course if you want help to pinpoint a specific breed/s then we would need more information on your life etc..

4. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Considering you're after a puppy and your youngest child is 8 years old - I'd go for a smaller dog rather than medium. This way, when they're being trained they're less likely to jump up and knock your children over, or hurt them during their teething "I'm going to nip hands and feet" stage.

Or, adopt an older dog whose already basically trained.

Also research breeds in terms of how long you're thinking of leaving them alone in the house, as some breeds cope better than others. I think most dogs can cope with an hour or two here and there, but if you're working full-time then some breeds would be less suited to this.

My general advice - take your time to research the right breed/type of dog for you and you'll end up with a wonderful and much loved addition to your family.

5. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

If you are going down the route of getting a puppy from a breeder, I would suggest a whippet. Although I don't own one myself, I have a close friend with a lovely whippet. He has 3 young children and Milo is fantastic with them. Whippets, in my opinion, are far less demanding in terms of exercise requirements than a lot of medium sized dogs. They have short bursts of ridiculously fast running and then tend to spend the rest of their walk pottering around. Milo, and I think he is typical of most whippets, is very affectionate, calm and pretty lazy in the house (most of the time) and just loves being around his family :)

If you would cOnsider the rescue route, I would have to suggest a Staffy though ;)

6. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

You need to consider a long or short hair breed, obviously long hair will need regular grooming, size of the dog and the amount of exercise the breed requires.

I have owned and lived with various breeds. Border Collies, Pembrokeshire Corgi, Dalmatian, Jack Russell Terriers and now a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. All these dogs are and were brilliant family pets.

Every member on here will advocate the breed they own, including me :)

I am firmly of the opinion a dog is a dog, you need a dog to fit in with your lifestyle that's it. A dog will behave as you want/train him to behave, and children have to learn that the dog is not a toy and the dog will need a place where he will not be disturbed and feel safe and secure.

You can't beat a Staffordshire Bull Terrier for loyality and affection with his family. ;)

342.jpg

1558a.JPG

1383a.JPG

7. helen123

helen123 PetForums Newbie

Thanx for all your replies. We have been looking at golden retrievers whats everyones thought on them??

8. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

love them but dont know much on the breed at all.

9. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Can't fault them really. I grew up with Goldens, and Freddie, who came to us as a puppy when I was 4, was consistently patient, gentle and very calm around me and my brother. However, every dog is different so I would say no dog is 100% around giddy children.

The two considerations with Goldens are firstly, cleaning them up - they tend to get very very mucky and my mums boy needs cleaning thoroughly after every walk, and depending how house proud you are, every time they come on from the garden. This does get quite annoying, I have a labrador now and it is nice to only have to wipe her paws even after the muddiest of walks.

Goldens also need a fair amount of exercise and don't tend do well with less than 2hrs a day, from my experience.

They are a wonderful breed though :)

10. izaseth

izaseth PetForums Junior

We got a Golden Retriever pup back in September and she is our first ever dog. I have 5 children aged 17,15,14,9 and 5 and she is great with all of them. The only slight hiccup was that she seemed to think the 5 year old was her toy and would knock him down trying to play with him!

She is 6 months old now and is a lovely pet and much more relaxed than she was when we got her. Obviously I'm still on a very large learning curve but I have been more than happy with our GR.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

11. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

goldies are fab when grown - are actually pretty big for a 'medium' dog though

like most gun dogs (an many other breeds) are intelligent and need lots of mental as well as physical stimulation to avoid behavioural problems, can be pretty 'mouthy' when young and bouncy so would have to be ready for that with consistant training that it's not allowed

research breeders *very* carefully to avoid hip, elbow or eye problems

once past the 'teenage' stage and beginning to be a grown up though they are wonderful, intelligent, playful and sweet dogs on the whole - be prepared for grooming and baths though every goldie I have met has had an obsession with mud

12. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

No personal experiences with Goldens, but they are a gundog so you have to consider that they can and will be mouthy, will chew and use their nose a lot - meaning you may have to work on their prey drive and chase instinct.

Then you have the mud, I have not yet met a gundog that isn't attracted to mud - of any breed. Goldens can also keen on water. So prepare for a lot of bathing and grooming.

All the Goldens I have met, have loved other people and other dogs - so a lot of training may be required.

Oh and the tail. Forget coffee tables - you won't be able to have one - those tails will just take everything straight off it. ;)

But of course this all depends on the breeder you go to, the puppy you get and how you bring it up from day 1.

Good luck in your search.

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How much daily exercise are you willing to provide?

Will the dog be left alone during the day?

How much time are you prepared to devote to grooming/training/stimulation?

Based on what little detail you have given, any breed could be suitable, it just depends on what you want out of a dog, and what you are prepared to put in in terms of time and commitment.

14. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

I had a goldie before we got Terence. She was fabulous. So fabulous in fact, that I will never have another as no other goldie would be able to live up to her. :eek: bit mushy sorry.

I'd say they are a large dog. Can easily get to 5 stone. Very smart and will need a lot of stimulation and exercise. They also need a lot of grooming. Vey friendly and, of course, very attractive.

I would recommend a staffie. They are fabulous. Smart, loyal, funny, incredibly good with kids (Terence is better than our goldie ever was with kids). Thru are terriers, though, so can be stubborn.

15. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

I would always recommend a labrador, retriever or a spaniel as a perfect family dog.

Please don't tell Duke or Clover as in their eyes Border Collie's rule :p

16. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

We had a goldie when I was about 6/7 years old, and he was the perfect dog.

17. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Research your breeds then go to Discover Dogs have a good look around, meet some dogs. chat to some breeders. You will usually find a gaggle of owners around their own breeds stand,all willing to give you the pros and cons of their favs.Then come home and research the breeds you liked again.
    That's my suggestion for what it's worth...

18. Georgee

Georgee PetForums Member

Having had 2 golden retrievers in the past they are great with kids but remember they are still large and boisterous as pups. Like labs their puppy stage lasts a while! I would say overall they are super dogs with lots of affection and very trainable.

19. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Will say, it's an ongoing challenge not just to train your dog but the children around the dog. ;) Miscommunication between dog and child can easily happen if you are not careful. Well worth it though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice