Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you put in your dog's kong?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenShadow, May 18, 2010.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

At the minute mine's got some natural yoghurt with cucumber and carrot chunks mixed in. Sometimes I put kibble/peanut butter/small treats etc in, what do you guys use? Anything you can particularly recommend?

I've never bought the paste before purely because it doesn't look like it would last very long, may do if its good though!

2. carebear

carebear PetForums Senior

i stuff mine with nature diet (dirt job) and then i freeze it. keeps my girl happy for hours upon end.

3. Emma Kuma

Emma Kuma PetForums Member

first i fill with her normal dry food, just a little bit then i crush up kong biscuits and mix with kong paste, stuff that in on top of it, and then pop a large kong treat at the end blocking the hole.

I then freeze it for Kumas new teeth :) helps her poorly little gums :)

4. maizie0_0

maizie0_0 PetForums Member

What should I use for an 8 week old puppy? And is it best to freeze it?

5. Emma Kuma

Emma Kuma PetForums Member

Kong do special puppy stuff to put in them, which is what im using for Kuma see my post above :) x

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never put anything in a kong. No idea if the one I have is supposed to have anything in it, I dont see how a dog would get it out again. Does anyone have a pic of the right sort of kong.

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

A standard kong is designed to have paste or whatever in it which the dog then has to work at to get it out. I put small treats, bits of cheese, peanut butter whatever is there at the time really but he's not really bothered with it

8. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

You can get different size Kongs and Kong toys just type it in google, they do a red one and a black one(which is the largest)

I stuff mine with mushed up biscuits,pate,cream cheese,cheese,sausage,liver, you can even stuff it with their food just soak it in water then stuff and freeze.
    freezing makes it last longer otherwise it's empty in 5 seconds with Izzy lol

9. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I fill mine with left over raost dinner - frozen
    A wedge of cheese
    Probiotic yog - mixed with what ever - frozen
    Wet or soaked dog food - frozen or not
    I wipe a little marmite around the inside to be licked out

I think the kong paste is expensive so I've never used it.

When mine were pups I stuffed their Kong with their regular food (still do now a lot of the time) and gave them their breakfast in it.
    If it's wetfood then just fill the kong - don't compress the food to much as he'll have trouble getting it out.
    With dry food (as mine have) soak it first in water so it's all mushy and do the same.

I wouldn't freeze it until he's worked out what to do with a kong.
    Once he can get the food out - next time freeze it as it lasts longer and it's good for soothing sore gums when teething.

Here you go Blitz - although I've never used dry dog biscuits as they just fall out
    [​IMG]

Always remember to include what you put in a kong in your daily feed allowance or you'll end up with a fat dog.

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

that looks like my kong. I put some yogurt in but it dripped out and she wasnt interested so tried some carrot cos she loves carrot. She sniffed it and carried it round for a minute then gave up and ignored it. So maybe not the thing for my dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice