Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you mean by 'park'?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by something ridiculous, Sep 20, 2013.

1. something ridiculous

something ridiculous PetForums Senior

Lots of people on here mention walking their dog at the park. So just wondering what every means when they refer to the park. I have visions of a small green area with swings, but you probably don't mean that.

2. owns the beast

owns the beast PetForums Senior

Both of the parks near to me have areas that are cordoned off which have swings etc for children. These are strictly no dogs allowed but you can walk them in the grassy area of the park.

3. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

This is the local park at the top of my road:

[​IMG]

They go off lead in the basketball court if we are having a shorter walk or it is wet, then on lead round the trees at the bottom.

This is the 'big park':

[​IMG]

They go off lead in here, sometimes with some dogs we know well, the whole thing is enclosed with 3 entrances which all bolt so is brilliant for a bash around.

So, I suppose our local park is a traditional park with things for kids and some grass, the big park is just an open grass area so is popular with dog walkers and less popular with kids luckily.

We then go on long walks through the woods or the country park, but these are the usual walks.

4. Sosha

Sosha PetForums Senior

For me it's normally Upton court Park - C 12 football pitches/ four rugby pitches/ a small kids playground and a whole lot of green in between.

5. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

I'm not sure whether to call our usual walk a field or a park! It has grass/hills/meadow with a mixture of tarmac and grass paths through it. There's also a childrens play area. :)

6. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

I'm so jealous of your fenced in area!

7. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

Come visit Nottingham, we can have a drag race, fuzzy vs pointy. :D

8. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

This one is 'my training field'. It is literally through an ally way so it's really close! This is where I take my lot for a quick stroll or for training outdoors :)
    [​IMG]

This is a lot bigger, I do two or three laps here and this is where I usually meet up with people and Rossis 'friends' who he has a good play with :) raven always finds a good fox poo to roll in to :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

This park is nicknamed the Heroin park... For obvious reasons :eek: it's fully enclosed and tucked behind the tennis course so it's really safe and there's rarely many dogs over there. You have a clear view of people coming in and out so you can leave before they get there. I like to take scooby there as it means I can unmuzzle him and have a play safely. He is still on a lead but it's a long one!
    [​IMG]

9. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

Hah! It's about an hour away so not completely out of the question. It does matter how many other dogs are likely to be around though and they don't recall from dogs well!

10. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

The park is the field attached to the leisure centre for us, it's a good place for Tia to run around and play. It has tennis courts and goalposts and areas for playing cricket I think, no children's play area or anything though. It's more of a field than a park I suppose but when I say field I mean a proper field with a public footpath.
    There's a couple of parks with fenced off children's play areas in too, one we use to do training in sometimes and the other we pass through on our way to a better walk.

11. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

This is the park we use for on lead walks, the brown square in the center at the top is the area for swings and such (no dogs allowed) and you can carry your walk on by joining the golf course footpath at the end, which then takes you across to the crop fields for lots of safe off leash time.

Wish we had a fenced in field here, the best we have is the football field on the left of the pic which is only fenced on two sides :incazzato:

12. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I think of a park as a big square of grass with maybe soem childrens play area in the corner...

My regular walk is kinda like a park but on a huge scale, its Walsall Arboretum which is like a huge 'urban' park, with a pond, toilets, little wooded bits, big chidlrens play area, sports bit, and over the back there is the ex municipal golf course, now turned over to a nature reserve - its great and 2 mins from my house.

13. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

The park for me is the local recreation ground which consists of three football pitches, 1 cricket pitch, the bowls club which is cordoned off, a children playground which is cordoned off and a tennis court. We can walk our dogs on the football pitches and around the cricket outfield as long as we clean up after our dogs.

Val xx

14. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

If I were to talk about 'the park' I would mean the enclosed football pitch 5 minutes from my house.

15. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I find walking in parks/recreational fields to be horrifically boring. But, I will use the local one if I'm too tired to do a 'proper' walk or for a training walk as there are often plenty of distractions. Ours is two large-ish flat fields mainly used for football/cricket. It also has a bowling green, children's playground and a small skatepark.

I much prefer walking in woods or proper fields as do the dogs.

16. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

My park is 3 large fields and a river walk.

1 field has a couple of football pitches at one end and a skate park at the other,with lots of space in between.

The 2nd field has a cricket pitch in the middle,but lots of space all round.

The 3rd field has nothing on it,it's been left to grow wild,with a few footpaths mowed through it.

Around the edge of these fields is the river which has a tarmac path and wide bits of grass next to it.

There's also a few more bits to it,but I'm not clever enough to put up a google map to show you.:eek:

But it's large enough to spend 2-3 hours wandering round.

17. beris

beris PetForums Senior

Park where I walk my dog daily has acres of grassland, forests and beach.

18. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

A park to me is a enclosed children's play area (swings etc), possibly a basketball court and other enclosed spaces for children (no dogs are allowed inside these enclosed areas, plus a big area of green around it where everyone walks their dogs, we do have one park where dogs are allowed in but meant to stay on lead which is good to take both the kids and dogs too so they don't have to stay at home or stay outside the park. I normally walk Apollo down the beach and on the common though.

19. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

To me, a park is a council owned (usually) recreation area that has football pitches, childrens play area etc.

20. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Our 'park' is a football pitch and a children's play area - not big enough for even the quickest walk round with Bess so we never bother going there. It's not enclosed either, although invariably empty!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice