UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been ill with tonsillitis the last few days and Terence hasn't had his usual walks. I've dragged myself out of bed every day and taken him on a pavement walk (can't let him off lead as I can't talk, so can't shout him), and, to be fair, Terence has been very good and just been laying by my side and looking very concerned :)001_wub:).
The OH will take him out again tonight, but I still feel so guilty that he hasn't had the same amount of exercise that he is used to. :eek:

So what do you guys do?

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
I do not put my own health at risk in order to walk my dogs, that would be irresponsible.

The dogs just have to put up with being restricted to the house and garden.

I do give them more recreational bones/toys however to compensate.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I wouldnt feel guilty - You have to look after your health and itl only be a few days.

I had my tonsils out in my early 20's as I suffered from cronic infections - I know how rough it can leave you feeling and its important you rest. Give the antibiotics a chance to work.

I know with Millie as long as she is near me she is happy. Given adequate toilet breaks she will happily sleep all day in bed with me / on the sofa.

Hope your feeling better soon x x

·
Registered
339 Posts
sorry youve been poorly Im stuck as my my hubby works away so if I physically couldnt walk the dogs they would have to do with the gardem, MY old gun dog doesnt go out anymore he can only manage a stroll in the garden, my 11 year old jack russ would be happy in bed with me , my only concern would be my 2yr old rottie he would be fine for a couple of days but then would start to act up hes a bit of deliquent and needs lots of exercise but apart from my hubby or his trainer I wouldnt trust him with anyone else, Hes not too friendly to dogs or people he doesnt know so if Im ill they will not get walked till hubby home at weekends

·
Registered
521 Posts
My OH would do it.

If not they wouldn't get walked. I have never been ill touch wood for more than a couple of days so that would not be a problem. Mine could go for a couple of days easily without walks.

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
Mine would be ok with just the garden for a while, then Id probably try and con a friend into walking them at the weekend!:D Its one of the reasons that I wanted low energy dogs because I really dont have much back up if Im ill.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I could have posted the same thing, but ... you have to look after yourself in order to look after the scruff. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Last week, I came down with a cold, which has turned into a chest infection. Stupid me thought I could walk Scrabble 5 miles home from the vets, then our usual 1 hr: 30 min - 2 hr afternoon walk. Well, several days later I'm paying the price and waiting for a G.P appt. I do feel guilty since I barely have the strength to play with her ... but OH will walk her, and she won't mind for a few days.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Yes, hubby has told me off for taking Terence out, too. :eek:

I'm actually considering having my tonsils taken out as I get tonsillitis regularly and it's awful. :(
I recommend it! I spent nearly 2 years on antibitiocs for 1 week out of very 4-5 :mad: I was never really taken seriously as my university Dr's only seem interested in STI's :rolleyes: I was going home to Norfolk every couple of months for Dr's visits. In my 3rd year of Uni I got referred to the hospital and within 2 weeks had an app to have them out.

Have had antibiotics maybe once in the last 4 years tonsil free :smilewinkgrin:

You may have to really push for it as they dont like doing the op on adults so much but its worth it plus I got time off work ;)

Hope your feeling better soon x x

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Hope you feel better soon - it's horrible feeling poorly :(

I'm lucky in that I have a busy household so plenty of people to take the dogs out on toilet breaks etc and having 3 small fluffies means they are happy enough to miss their 'proper' walks for a couple o days as long as they can snuggle on the sofa with me :)

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Only been ill enough once to miss a walk, and then I was in hospital. OH walked him
That's because your made of sterner stuff than the rest of us ;)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My sympathies. I had tonsilitis a few weeks back, it was horrendous.
I had the same problem with Dresden. My OH was working, I had no one to take me to the park (the park I can manage when ill, as I just have to sit on the bench and throw the ball), I had no options but lead walks, and obviously taking a 45 minute walk when ill is sometimes not sensible or possible!

I did manage to get him out at least once every day, either by getting someone to take him to the park, or just forcing myself round the block with him. The latter wasn't smart; at one point I thought I might black out :rolleyes:

However, I only did so because I kinda grew up with this idea of 'a dog needs a walk every single day, come rain or shine' thing. Im sure he'd have coped for a day or so without one. I don't have a huge garden, but I could throw the ball for him there, and in the hall way. In future, I don't think I'll force myself out when Im that ill. But at the same time, any more than a day or two without a walk, and Im sure he'd go stir crazy :blink:

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My sympathies. I had tonsilitis a few weeks back, it was horrendous.
I had the same problem with Dresden. My OH was working, I had no one to take me to the park (the park I can manage when ill, as I just have to sit on the bench and throw the ball), I had no options but lead walks, and obviously taking a 45 minute walk when ill is sometimes not sensible or possible!

I did manage to get him out at least once every day, either by getting someone to take him to the park, or just forcing myself round the block with him. The latter wasn't smart; at one point I thought I might black out :rolleyes:

However, I only did so because I kinda grew up with this idea of 'a dog needs a walk every single day, come rain or shine' thing. Im sure he'd have coped for a day or so without one. I don't have a huge garden, but I could throw the ball for him there, and in the hall way. In future, I don't think I'll force myself out when Im that ill. But at the same time, any more than a day or two without a walk, and Im sure he'd go stir crazy :blink:
Yes, I was like that. :eek:
I suppose, in the future, Terence might have to make do without a walk. He has been very good, in his defense, and the OH will have to walk him in the evening when he gets back.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I'm the same as SB. I am the only one who walks them, so they just have to make do with the garden, or a short potter... they will get extra things to keep them amused though, chews, bones, kongs etc. Plus small training sessions where all I need to do is sit :D

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
It depends on what kind of illness, I can usually plough through discomfort but if I feel wobbly then I won't risk it.

I try to rope in someone else to take Diz but tbh, she doesn't often enjoy going without me so I don't force her, games in the garden or house are enough for her. I think she secrety quite likes our quiet, snuggly duvet days :)

Hope your feeling better soon x

ETA. Can sympathise with bad backs, I've had minor back proplems since adolescence but I overdid it with the ball launcher and now I'm shuffling about like Gollum :rolleyes: I think Diz had a great laugh watching me try to throw the ball with my left hand!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Check yaself before ya wreck yaself! That is what I say. Well not really, I can't believe that anyone would ever speak so ridiculously....

If you've got an infection like that and your body is saying "Rest and heal!" Then listen to it, it's fighting its own war on the inside and doesn't want you wasting its valuable resources on non-essential expenditure. :D Hopefully you'll be back to your best in a few days and all will be well again. Get well soon!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.