Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you look for in a vet clinic?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Sep 17, 2013.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

As the title says really. What makes you choose one vet clinic over another?

2. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I make an appointment and "interview" the vets before I sign.... :eek:

I don't use a chain, I never have because I prefer continuity and I like a small practice.

3. Wispywebs

Wispywebs PetForums Newbie

Good morning. Having dealt with several vet practices over the years, my advice would be to do the rounds in your area. Call in and just get a " feel" of the place. As has been previously said, I would be wary of chain practices as in my experience, vets come and go and you may not always see the same vet. Continuity of care is very important so a private practice may be better. Also, take advice from friends and neighbours in your area.. Recommendation goes a long way in choosing the right vet. All the best.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I used a combination of personal recommendation, choosing a small independent practice where my pet could see the same vet or nurse, and where the vets respect my opinion. I'm very happy with the one I use, which I've been with for around 15 years. In-house facilities like x-ray and blood testing are worth having.

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I like the personal touch, where you can see the same vet for the same illness and the vets knows your dogs name after a while :)

However, one of the most important is emergency care. If your dog is injured and/or in severe pain, there's nothing worse than a vet not wanting to come out or being miles away.

I'm really lucky with mine, it is a tiny practice where I see the same vet 99% of the time, but it's linked to a perfectly adequate larger practice that has a vet on standby 365 days 24 hours.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, I forgot out-of-hours care. My vet is linked to another independent practice who provide 24 hour emergency cover (at a price). Although the emergency vet is further for me, it's actually quicker to get to because it avoids a trip through town. And you settle the bill with your normal vet.

There's nothing wrong with registering your pet with several practices; that way you're more likely to get fitted in somewhere at short notice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice