Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you keep your hay in?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by LittlePaws AnimalRescue, Nov 24, 2012.

1. LittlePaws AnimalRescue

LittlePaws AnimalRescue PetForums Senior

Up until now I've always kept hay in the plastic bag it comes in.
    But I was talking to someone earlier who said this was really bad for the hay, that the plastic makes it go 'off'

So what do you all keep your hay in?

I've seen the cloth hay bag on the hay experts but it says it only holds 1-1.8kg of hay.
    My bags of hay are bigger than that.
    Would keeping the hay in a duvet cover be ok instead?

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I keep the bales in the shed and then bring smaller amounts in, in a big bag for life from sports direct, they are only 69p or something crazy like that and they hold 2 "sheets" of baled hay - those who have bales will know what I mean lol

3. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

We buy our hay by the bale and keep it in the garage. We just use it from there as needed.

We have used duvet covers when we remember to take them to the farm - must better when you have hay bales in the car - and the hay stays fresh in them. We just asked around the family for old ones, then gave them a wash in the w/machine with no detergent.

4. Louiseandfriends

Louiseandfriends PetForums Senior

I keep mine in their bags...

5. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

i store my bales in the summerhouse, and bring one out onto the top garden, where the rabbits are, at a time, and keep it in a black wheelie bin for easy acssess

6. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

I keep it in the bag it came in fom the store.

7. LittlePaws AnimalRescue

LittlePaws AnimalRescue PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone :)

I'm going to store it in an old duvet cover as I dont want the plastic making the hay go horrible.
    I know my bags dont last that long (my lots eat soooo much of it!) but I'd like to do what I can to keep it really nice.

8. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I keep mine in the shed and then bag up a days worth of hay.
    When kept in a bag for too long it can ferment due to condensation which can cause excess gas when the rabbit eats it.

9. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I get two bales from a farmer and keep most of it in a plastic shed I got in Free cycle. I have a 8 foot long storage shelf in my bunny shed and I keep hay in a laundry basket on top of that shelf to keep me going a week or so and replenish that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice