Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you feed your dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Emma Kuma, May 22, 2010.

1. Emma Kuma

Emma Kuma PetForums Member

Good morning all :thumbup:

After reading through several threads, regarding Pro Plan & its shocking ingredients im looking to change to a different food.

Question is what?

What do you all feed your dogs?

Im looking for dry food only please as Kuma is still a baby and dont wanna upset her sensitive tummy :)

Any advice much apprechiated :)

2. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Fish4dogs is an excellent food, as is Taste of the Wild (and both cheaper than Pro Plan) and Evo, but thats hard to find in the UK

On the cheaper end... Skinners field and trial ones are ok, and wainwrights, both good for the money, obviously not as good as the ones above

These are just the ones I have looked into myself

3. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

4. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Applaws - if you can a) find it and b) afford it!
    Orijen comes highly recommended but I think is the most expensive food I have ever seen.

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I feed Burns mini bites and also raw.
    (worked out soooo much cheaper to get raw then the Applaws tinned food I was feeding them)!.

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Fish4Dogs Finest is what I feed.

Higher proteins like Applaws and Origen didn't go well for my boy and I lately heard not very positive things about Applaws anyway (the dry mostly).

7. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Fish4dogs seems a great food. Arden Grange is another. Burns mini bites gets mentioned a lot on her, I've heard a lot of good things about it, but at 60% rice, it seems hugely expensive for a giant bag of fillers to me. Orijen may seem expensive, but when you take into account the feeding amounts, it's often cheaper, or the same per day to feed as most of the cheaper foods.

I know you said dry only, but kibble is much more likely to upset a sensitive tummy because of fillers, additives and such. So maybe take a look at something like this?

Natural Instinct - High Quality Natural Dog Food

No fillers, no added crap, so nothing to upset a sensitive stomach.

That said, Novak's sensitive stomach settled once I swapped him to Skinners duck and rice and started him on protexin profiber.

8. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I'm a Skinners convert. Sadly their puppy isnt hypoallergenic so we did Wainsrights but @10months we changed to skinners and havent looked back.

One thing that I would do if I had my time over again is to choose a few puppy foods, get samples and then let Heidi make the final decision. That's what I did when we went over to adult. Her choice wasnt what I expected (nor the one I wanted) but she loves it. Wainwrights was a struggle occasionally to get her to eat.

The downside of Skinners is the low meat content but OH is a butcher and brings home lots of meaty bones to top that up.

Another thing to take into consideration is the quantities to feed. Some are twice as much as others and that bumps up the cost.

I would love to be able to afford Fish4Dogs and am going to look at the RDA just incase I can but of course, Heidi will need to like it too :thumbup::D

10. chestersmum

chestersmum PetForums Senior

I feed a mixture mainly of Barking Heads fat dog slim dry food & Wainwrights light wet food, chester tends to put on weight as hes been neutured. He was on orijen which increased his weight quite a bit when I lowered the amount I was feeding by only 5-10 grams he was scavenging through the bins.

He gets sometinned fish and chicken wing once a week also

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I feed beta adult large breed. It is the only food I've found (and I have tried a lot) which works for both of my girls :) The extra bonus is that the kibble is so big Luna has to actually chew her food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice