Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what do you feed your cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by khadijah85, Jan 25, 2008.

1. khadijah85

khadijah85 PetForums Junior

i was just wondering whats really the best food for cats? after coming along sites that say there no good because of too many carbohydrates i would like to know your suggestions, i feed my cats on nutro choice kitten dry food with some wiskas kitten wet food and plenty of fresh water.

2. may

may PetForums VIP

I feed my cats on fresh Chicken, Fish, Tuna, beef cooked, and Raw Beef,
    Cheese now and again, and leave James Wellbeloved complete diet down for all my cats to graze on with fresh water available at all times :D

3. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I dont have a cat but my neighbour does. He feeds his on go-cat biscuits.
    I know this coz I have to feed him when he goes away!..:D

4. Is your cat any particular breed? If so - he/she might need some special nutrition. If not - they could eat any cat food - if healthy; also hence they are originaly carnivores - I strongly beleive that they should be given meat or fish regularly (raw or cooked) along with cat food. Mind you - meat of fish if cooked must not be salty or spicy as it could affect cat's kidney etc.

5. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

My cats are on Hills d/d prescription diet because they are allergic to everything else!

6. Broxdown

Broxdown PetForums Junior

I feed my cat James Wellbeloved dry which she absolutely thrives on also a single pouch of Sheba divided into two small meals. She is also offered fresh cooked chicken/turkey on occasion.

7. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

whiskers kitten dry and canned.

8. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Again we feed our cats on as much fresh food as possible ie-white fish with grated cheese/cottage cheese, tuna chunks-with brine drained off and chicken mixed with something or on it's own and Sardines with rice pudding as well as leaving JWB biccies down for them:)Our Pure bred moggie Noodles as well as being in his Autumn yrs has a sensitive tum and he has Tuna or white chicken and fish also a bit of raw mince beef/steak does them (Or ours at least) the world of good,plus it's so funny watching them squabble over it and kill a tiny bit of meat:D:D We do very rarely use a pouch of Felix etc but it is rare just because we find a: it makes their poo's ultra smelly and sometimes brand pouches can be to rich and go straight thru them and are not very substantial:)I agree with Elena in that certain breeds do have particular dietary needs and some have iron tummy's and will not only eat anything but can live with it too:)We find too that fresh food for us works out cheaper or their is literally only pennies in it-plus you know exactly what they're eating as well.

9. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Royal Canin dry and fresh meat most of the time - heart, chicken, turkey etc...sometimes if we run out before stocking up they have a can of Felix or Whiskers.....

10. khadijah85

khadijah85 PetForums Junior

i did try one of my kittens on raw mince only a lil bit and he did have some nasty poos for a while, i am looking at different brands of wet food i think almo nature, cosma or applaws they all look quite good as they have at least 75% meat or fish content. they are just mix breed cats one bengal x nfc and burmese x russain blue.

11. anniecarter

anniecarter PetForums Newbie

my kittens have very delicate stomachs owing to me having been told they were a lot older than they were when i took them home. turns out they were only about 5weeks! so they have only a kitten compleate nutrition dried food most of the time. also some watered down kitten formula milk once a day which is the thing that settles their tummys! for a treat they have some chicken or white fish. i have found...the hard way! that red mean lamb or pork goes right through them both!

i was told by the vet that it is fine to feed them just dry fod as long as its a compleate food and not just a mixer!

hope that helped Annie and co.

xxx

12. Desertstorm

Desertstorm PetForums Member

I have my second cat dying in a span of a few months from what I believe is kidney failure. She is an 11 year old Tonkinese. Her 10 year old daughter died of the same thing this past fall. My vet examined the first one, diagnosed kidney failure and put her on 1 "5mg "prendisone pill daily. She lived only 4 days after that. Her mother is acting the same way. I took her temp and it was 98.1F....(below normal) Her breath is horrid and she is literally wasting away, all consistant with kidney failure I ran her through a course of amoxil and have had her on prednisone for almost 10 days. She is no better....eating just a tiny bit of canned food warmed and mixed with water. (fancyfeast) I pureed cooked liver, added water it was boiled in and fed her that yesterday. She ate some and appeared to like it. I warmed some today and she would not eat. I force fed her and she threw up an hour or so later. I am going to see the vet again tomorrow to see what else we can do. He seemed to think prednisone should do the trick. Do any of you have experience with renal failure?? No, I did not feed any recalled food from menu foods...and my other cats are all healthy. As for feeding my cats, they are now on a mixture of Shur-gain lifetime and purina cat chow. I had been feeding Whiskas dry and before that Shir-gain lifetime and a few years before that Friskies dry. I live in Canada so our choices differ from some of you. I feed my pregnant and nursing Himalayian mamas purina kitten chow. My sick kitty is emaciated and weak...what else can I do...? I have attached a pic of Coby, a 4 month old cream point Himalayian male.

Attached Files:

13. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

Mine gets a couple of chicks, first thing in the morning, frozen but well thawed out in wam water, then when I get in from work, maybe beef heart, lamb heart, turkey mince, beef liver (on occasion) and P@H Advanced Dry Food for when shes peckish but I like to go for beef heart, chick, lamb heart as a basic. No added salt or sugar, all meat, no soya/maize or other garbage! Its not too expensive, its all MEAT, which is what she needs, its varied and easily available. I think VARIETY is the way to go, heart, liver etc. Cats really need to get their water intake from their FOOD, not from a drinking bowl. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice